2 replies [Last post]
CoreBond too much for a Smith 629?

I am going Hog hunting in 3 weeks. I'll be carrying my Smith Wesson 629 classic as backup, only using it for a shot my rifle can't make or under dense cover.

I want to buy the heaviest, baddest load I can for this puppy just in case I need it: CoreBond 320gr Hard Cast Lead, 1375 fps.

But the 629 is no Ruger. I can tell it's not as strong of a design. Would this round damage my gun? Loosen the cylinder? Crack the barrel? I don't want to damage "my baby" if you know what I mean!

I'd be shooting three rounds to sight it in at the range.

I'd be shooting two rounds maximum in the field.

I'd probably not use those rounds again until deer season, and once again only for a shot my rifle can't make.

This will not be a steady diet for my gun. Only to be used in a an "emergency danger" or "close range upright animal" basis. I'd actually carry 3 CoreBonds and 3 Factory Hollow Points in the cylinder. That way any "finishing" shots would be standard factory ammo. Save the heavy stuff only for when it's really needed.

What do you think?

According to Cor-Bon's website, they follow established SAAMI specs. If you're not sure, then call or email them.

Emailed them. They say they use a 629 for their testing and it'll be just fine.

One thing I didn't ask is if it was a 629-4 or 629-5 or 629-6. Each of these has "internal upgrades" to allow for higher pressure tolerances.

I own a 629-4. I'm going to go with the Cor Bon rounds and just make sure to only feed it a couple of rounds now and then while out hunting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like