21 replies [Last post]
Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1550
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!
expatriate wrote:
In the words of Aaron Burr, "political opposition can never absolve gentlemen from the necessity of a rigid adherence to the laws of honor and the rules of decorum".

Great quote ex.
I have not heard that one nor of the Author.

I'll bet Mr. Burr has not only rolled over in his grave but he has probably left the cemetery completely with the antics of today's "gentlemen".
It seems that Honor has taken a backseat to greed and self indulgence.
there are no "Rules of Decorum" in our political system anymore, especially on the Democrats side of the table.

Offline
Joined: 04/01/2009
Posts: 435
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!
Quote:
Franken would've died in a duel ages ago

Ya sure, "shooter dick" cheney would have plugged a pheasant when trying to shoot him. Big smile
Sounds like things are slipping into Walter Mittydom again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty Now you know why we're called the reality based community, we skip the fantasy worlds and stick to this one.

Actually Franken comes from a long line of rock ribbed Minnisota Republicans, all that changed abruptly in 1964 when Goldwater apposed the civil rights act. Franken asked his dad why they were switching and his dad said "son, we’re Jews, and Jews can not oppose civil rights."

Franken can speak knowledgeably and at length on the issues of the day and many other things. He has obviously thought deeply and at length. Instead of decrying a lack of honor and Democrats not following the "rules of Decorum" (like when you all call the president a muslim palling around with terrorists born not in America socialist) why not read one of his books or listen to one of his speaches and then criticize. I listen to Rush and O'riely, why don't you read of listen to a polemnisist of the left? Scared? Don't have to buy a book, it's at the library.
\

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1751
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!
pangolin wrote:
Quote:
Franken would've died in a duel ages ago

Ya sure, "shooter dick" cheney would have plugged a pheasant when trying to shoot him. Big smile
Sounds like things are slipping into Walter Mittydom again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty Now you know why we're called the reality based community, we skip the fantasy worlds and stick to this one.

Actually Franken comes from a long line of rock ribbed Minnisota Republicans, all that changed abruptly in 1964 when Goldwater apposed the civil rights act. Franken asked his dad why they were switching and his dad said "son, we’re Jews, and Jews can not oppose civil rights."

Franken can speak knowledgeably and at length on the issues of the day and many other things. He has obviously thought deeply and at length. Instead of decrying a lack of honor and Democrats not following the "rules of Decorum" (like when you all call the president a muslim palling around with terrorists born not in America socialist) why not read one of his books or listen to one of his speaches and then criticize. I listen to Rush and O'riely, why don't you read of listen to a polemnisist of the left? Scared? Don't have to buy a book, it's at the library.
\

That's too difficult for our friends and would take away the ability to blame all their ills on one thing. The house of cards built up around that party over the last twenty years is burning down maybe something better will rise out of it. If they get rid of the negatives i.e. hypocrisy's, hate tactics, and the blame blame blame game.

Take care Pango!

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1550
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!

(Yawn) Ho Hum.

Is that all you got SoKo?
I expect that out of your lil mouse friend but You?..... I expect a little more intelligence from you.

Here are some examples from Al Franken's responses to the VoteMatch Survey:
"Enforce immigration law at the worksite, not at the border" ( What??!!)
"Prohibit torture & interrogation banned by Geneva Convention" ( He obviously knows nothing about the Geneva Convention)
"Apologizes for stigmatizing hermaphrodites & conjoined twins" ( Probably yucked it up at David Lettermans jokes about Sarah Palins minor child being raped during the 7th inning stretch)

Yeah, you guys got a real winner there. neener!

Hypocrisy?

The left liberal dems are full of hypocrisy.
Al Gore- Do as I say not as I do
President Obama- Do as I say not as I do, I am for the little man.
Every Dem and alot of Rebubs- We are for the little man, the workers, women, people who work hard and pull their way up from the bottom to the top and then what happens?
Sarah Palin comes along as a nobody who was on the city council, then elected mayor and then Governor and what do you all do?
Criticize her for not staying home with her kids and cooking and cleaning like a good little woman should do, Make jokes about her family and suggest that her 14 year old daughter should be raped by A Rod and yuck it up at that, criticize her for looking good, hair do's, wardrobe, decisions she made doing her job, calling her a "ditz", dull, dumb, and all sorts of other lies and accusations when the reality is she has done nothing wrong except be "one of us", the working class and not some snobby elitist who does one thing while crying foul when someone else does the same thing.
There are more....Tons more examples should you want to hear them.

I read plenty but I also have a mind that I use to plow thru all the BS and get to the truth. I don't rely on wiki, blogs and hate mongering along with fear tactics to form my opinions, they are my opinions and not somebody elses' that I just copy and paste as mine onto some forum to make ridiculous arguments.
You guys should try it sometime, it is enlightening.

As Grandma used to say, "clean off your own door steps before you go and clean off your neighbors door steps".

Offline
Joined: 04/01/2009
Posts: 435
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!

Hope you drew the tags you were looking for SoCo, dont' forget leftovers are August 11.

Vote match survey is a way to quickly decide who to vote for if you know nothing of a certain candidate. I just call a neighbor for the local issues I'm not familiar with. I'd assume Jtapia that you are familiar with immigration, Geneva Convention issues and that you do understand Franken's stand on both. Right?

Besides those two there are many many more, I'd suggest a little reading of varied sources. The rest of your post branches off into Sarah Palin / Al Gore / Obama territory which though very interesting to me isn't the topic of this thread. I too like quoting fridge magnets but a time and a place if you know what I mean.

I would suggest that you use Wiki as a starting point if you really know nothing of an issue. Often I'm amazed at the total lack of background of some of the posts on here. It's as if someone had never read anything. Blogs are there wether you like them or not (you're reading one now) and TV and newspapers are diminishing in influence, it's up to you to be discerning. Again this is a thread on Al Franken, the newest US Senator.

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3206
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!

Oh, yeah...there we go again. The all-knowing, definitive Wikipedia oracle. Laugh Laugh Laugh

Offline
Location: Montana
Joined: 10/24/2006
Posts: 448
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!
expatriate wrote:
Oh, yeah...there we go again. The all-knowing, definitive Wikipedia oracle. Laugh Laugh Laugh

Thumbs up

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1751
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!
Romey wrote:
expatriate wrote:
Oh, yeah...there we go again. The all-knowing, definitive Wikipedia oracle. Laugh Laugh Laugh

Thumbs up

Thumbs up Thumbs up neener! Thumbs up

Offline
Joined: 04/01/2009
Posts: 435
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!

SoCo wrote

Romney wrote

expatriate wrote

Oh, yeah...there we go again. The all-knowing, definitive Wikipedia oracle.

and I link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant#Threat_of_extinction neener! ^ ^ ^

PreviewAttachmentSize
Franken.jpg
Franken.jpg4.85 KB
Offline
Location: Montana
Joined: 10/24/2006
Posts: 448
Congratulations, Senator-elect Franken!

Shocker

Related Forum Threads You Might Like