7 replies [Last post]
Colorado units 41/42/421 2nd Rifle Deer

Drew this hunt with my zero p/p's so I could go out and hunt. Looked into the Big Game CD and came up with this choice. Have went over the GMU map page on the CDOW website and have a good idea where I want to go but would like someone who has hunted the unit to confirm some of the info. My main goal is deer, but will purchase a 2nd season bull tag OTC. Where should I be looking? Thanks

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

mickeyelk, I have hunted mainly unit 41 and just some of unit 421. In unit 41 I like the west side the best for deer and the south side does hold quite a few elk and some good deer. During second season I would hunt about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up, everybody will be hunting the top. You will have to hike in everyday unless you pack a small camp in and stay in there which would be much better as far as the hunting goes. Let me know if you have anymore questions about this area.

Good luck and good hunting !

Elkmag's picture
3rd rifle 41, 42, 421 mule deer

I have a mule deer 3rd rifle tag for units 41, 42, 421.  Have not had anytime to scout, graduating college student. I have heard that up by Powderhorn ski resort there is some good deer, but was interested in 41. Read your post and was wondering how the roads are, I am expecting bad weather to move in. Also wondering about the quantity/quality of the deer. I have a first timer with me and she gets bored easily and I want to show her lots of deer (keep her hunting).

Any information on good areas to hunt would be awesome.  Real payback is available. If you or anyone you know draw's a southern utah elk tag, I am very familiar with most of the units.

Thanks,  the Elkmagnet (not self proclaimed)

elkkill06's picture
Good luck this season

The roads in 41 aren't to bad other than all the rock in that country. If you hunt 41 do not expect to see tons of deer. Don't get me wrong there are some good deer in there , but since the late 80's and all the extra doe tags, the deer herd has never been the same.

whskyDistiller's picture
New to unit 41, 42, 421 mule deer

Im hunting there next year with a friend. What was your take on it for your first trip? Did it seem good for elk? 

We hunt hard and like getting deep in the timber, just not sure how this unit looks for elk habitat/numbers. 

Any info you offer could be useful. 

Thanks

elkkill06: Depending on the weather I'll be taking my backpack equipment along just in case, otherwise I'll be out of the back of my truck. On the west side is the area PJ's/sage/aspen/oak or is the area pine trees? I've got my maps and will start looking at google earth to see what to expect. I won't be able to pre-scout since I have my sons hunt in Nevada that we will be going up monthly to check the area out. Thanks for you reply and any and all info is always appreciated.

elkkill06's picture

The west side is mainly all PJ's, oakbrush, sagebrush and a few quakeys. The pine trees are mostly on top. There is a huge bench that runs all the way from Lands End north to Chalk Mntn ( there is private on the north end ) that is excellent for muledeer and there are a few elk there ( more elk on the south side). It is just over half way up and holds deer year around.

My buddy hunts 41 every year

My buddy hunts 41 every year for elk. But its the first rifle season. It seems to be very black and white from year to year. Elk always in same are just the quality of the elk changes. He said he sees some really really nice mule deer while up there. Of coarse when hunting elk he see the deer up close, probably because he doesn't have a tag. He hunts about half way up setting up on escape routs that they use after other hunters push them down a bit. Whatch your surondings, he had a hunter shoot at the same bull as he was taking aim at, and the other hunter was only 300 yards above him. good luck.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like