8 replies [Last post]
Colorado Units 1, 2, 10 and 201

Hey all....I was curious to see if anyone was fortunate enough to hunt one of these NW units in CO during the early rifle season.  Or any season for that matter.  I have 16 points now and would be interested in hearing how some of those hunts went and see some pictures.  I'm sure lots of folks would like to see some pics.  Lets hear it.

BleuBijou's picture
Checking on

a guy who had a tag! Should have some info soon!!! I have been just as curious!!! Do you have NR points or RES points??

CURIOUS TO HEAR WHAT

CURIOUS TO HEAR WHAT HAPPENED...WHICH UNIT?  I AM A RESIDENT SO AM HOPING 14 OR 2015.  CRAZY..HOW MANY POINTS YOU HAVE?

BleuBijou's picture
Just called

Again!! No answer!!! Hope everything is well!!!  I had 17 !!!!! Drew the Bosque 3rd season with my Buddy!!!! Leaving in 11 days and plan on staying the whole time! My buddies Brother has 19 and is planning a unit 2 hunt, unless things change!! I would stay away from unit 1, 10 has gone down hill a little! Had 2 other friends hunt unit 2! One last year and one the year before!! One was overwhelmed at the horn size and tagged out too early according to him!!!! Was very heartbroken as he shot a bull with 30 cows. He just needed someone to say no to him and didn't have that option!!! Personally, I think his Elk is awesome!!!! 300+ 5 pointer with huge points and great main beam!!! Nothing to be ashamed of in my book!!!!! He felt bad because of the 18 years it took him to draw!!! Trophy in my eyes!!!!

BleuBijou's picture
Here is

some info, but probably nothing you haven't heard before on this unit!! Called me back and said they went 4 for 4 with the biggest being 368 and the smallest 325! Pretty typical for unit 2!! All were guided on private I believe!!! But this is a good representation of what is there no matter where you hunt there!!!! Sure they may be some larger, but if you are like me and never shot anything else but the first legal critter you have seen, 330 is looking big!!! I will hold out as long as I can and am hoping everyone is tagged out by day 4, so I can have the run of the place and feel comfortable doing so!!! Average hunting days in the Bosque is 2-4 days for 3rd season before tagging out!!! 29-30 in the last 2 years all rifle seasons! That is pretty good success rate!!!! Trophy is always in the eye of the beholder!!!! I will be happy with a nice Elk!!! No huge expectations!!! I like a pretty rack, sometimes it is not the largest, but the chance to hunt a place with that potential is just going to be awesome!!!!!! I will be a kid in a candy store!!! Big smile

Great info, appreciate

Great info, appreciate hearing about it.  I will definately not be doing a private land hunt, I'll have greater satisfaction doing it on my own (and cheaper), but those all sounded like great bulls from unit 2.  If you have any pics would love to see.  Unit 1 is out for me unless points dramatically change on unit 10, no more patience to wait for unit 2 either.  I have already been doing some scouting in unit 10 when I'm in the area just to get aquanted with the roads etc.

As for your hunt, I wish you the best of luck and an enjoyable experience. Will be looking forward to hearing about it as well.  I have pretty much killed the first legal ones I've seen as well and can totally relate to a nice 325 bull. Boy would that make me happy.  Are you going to spend a few days prior to the season opener looking for the big boys and getting an idea of whats around?

BleuBijou's picture
I will be

Down there Thursday to start my search! It is a unique place and depending on where you are in the SWA it can be tough to spot them. You all will be the first to see the pic's and here the story!

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
good luck! Have a great

good luck! Have a great hunt. 

EricRichards1's picture
Hunted unit 1 2 years ago

Got lucky and had a leftover tag for cow elk in unit. Knowing this is not an easy unit to draw into, I jumped at the chance. There were 6 total hunters there. Strange enough was the Game officer patrolling the area was a game warden from Utah...
We saw lots of deer, one big bull, and very few cows. There is a swinging drawbridge that will make your stomach quesy. You have to cross that drawbridge in your car, drive on the FSR and head south to the gate. Then walk in 2-3 miles for a good look out spot. Sit there all day and wait patiently. The elk will arrive. Further south from this big canyon you will see some agricultural land. Hunt this edge to find animals crossing it to get to the water. In a drought year this could be great. Good luck!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
"Trophy" units in Colorado?donmillion1011/14/2003 19:56 pm
Units 37, 44, 45 ColoradoRemington742305/13/2010 06:18 am
NW Coloradocrenshaw1603/29/2013 21:43 pm
Mule deer hunting, Colorado Units 18, 28, 37 and 371. AR15_44E106/11/2011 11:21 am
Colorado Pronghornprhunter208/06/2014 08:47 am