13 replies [Last post]
TenaciousC's picture
Colorado Unit 35,36 3rd Season

Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum, but a long time stalker. I was just wondering if anyone had any general information on Colorado unit 35 & 36. I have a third season deer tag and have never hunted the unit before or even stepped foot in it. I plan on making a few scouting trips there over the summer and fall. Im really looking forward to a new area, ive only hunted unit 70 and 62 before. Does anyone know what I can expect for quality, pressure, weather, terrain, access, etc...? Is there any rugged country where i can somewhat get away from the crowds? Im used to hunting at 10,000 plus feet so hopefully i can find some remote area to get into.  Im just trying to find a mature buck and enjoy a fun trip. Thanks

exbiologist's picture
good tag

Looks like you've hunted a lot of good muley country in the past.  Maybe Critter will chime in here too, but I'd probably focus on the Colorado River canyons.  Shouldn't be much pressure, who knows what the weather will bring, the terrain can be pretty gnarly along the river, and access can be a pain around there too-so have a good map and GPS.  Not much for truly remote country other than the Castle Peak stuff, which could work too.  Hold out for a good one if that's what you want, they are there.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
One problem with 35 is all

One problem with 35 is all the private property.  You can get around it but it is a mess at times.  I have seen some fantastic bucks on 35 but it has been while I was crossing the private to get to the public grounds but it can be done if you like hunting cedars and pinion on the west end of it above Gypsum.  Forget about the area above Eagle and most of it on the north end is all private.  The deer love to hang up on the top of Green Mountain until the snow forces them down and sometimes that isn't until after January. 

36 on the other hand can be real interesting during third season.  I know of a hunter that took a monster 4x4 off of Red and White Mountain out of Avon during a snow storm one year.  Also in 36 you can check out the deer while they are on the move if there is snow up high to start to push them out of the high country.  My only problem is that I have only hunted it a couple of times and that was years ago. 

TenaciousC's picture
Colorado unit 35,36 3rd season

Thank you very much for your responses. Sorry i havent gotten back sooner. Ive been doing a little scouting here in Utah. Thrilled to have found the buck ive been hunting since 2009 and hopefully this year will be the year! Ill try and get some new pictures in the next couple weeks and post them. I really need a few opinions on what he would score. I know its not great but the antler configuration has had me stumped for a couple years. He looks like a long tined ten point white tail on one side then a big three point on the other. With a 6" long hook off his g2 a forked g4 and a crab claw the end of his main beam... cool character buck.

So, after that scouting trip motivation is at an all time high. I was thrilled to come home and see your guys responses. Ive been looking at some maps and am getting a better feel for the area. Ex biologist, would the colorado river canyons be on the west side of 35it around the bull gulch wilderness area or am I way off? The castle peaks area is really appealing to me but do you think the deer will be that high in november? Or does it just depend on the weather?

Unit 36 has me interested as well, there seems to be more public land but more roads also. Where i usually hunt more roads mean more people. But there does look to be some good areas around there. Any opinions on the slate mtn. Area? It kind of jumps out at me on a map...
I have a friend that lives in new castle, and he's working on possibly getting me onto 1,000 acres or so just out of wolcott. I believe he said in ute creek. I dont really care for hunting private, never done it in fact. Just open for options. I noticed that red and white mountian road is right above that though. So thats a pretty decent area?

Thanks again guys, i dont want to pry just some general questions. Is the quality and deer numbers good or did they get hammered by that winter a few years back? Just. Wondering what i can expect to see. Hold out for a 170-180 and eat the tag if i have to or shoot the first 150 i see? Thanks again and i look forward to hopefully hearing back from ya.

BleuBijou's picture
That area

Has some dandys!!!! Can be tough 3rd unless weather makes a statement!!! I was there last year in 4th season for a either sex elk and the rutt kicked off about the 3rd day I was there. I am sure it had already started, but it went from 10 to 90 mph!!! Saw some real trophies that were stupid in love!!! Elk were still in the knee deep snow!!! Then the Doe's started to move lower and the Big boy's were right behind!!! What amazed me was the lack of hunters!!!1 guy with his son were all we seen or talked with and he had been there hunting the 3rd season for Buck and said he only seen 3 doe's !! They just seem to come out of the woodwork with the weather and Rutt!!! He stayed for 4th season for a Cow elk!!! Roads were bad!! even with a 4 wheeler where we were!!! Not really muddy but big rocks and steep grades. Would not take a truck up most of it unless properly equiped with winch and tires off the ground a bit!!LOL!! I think you hunt enough to do well there!! Want some pictures!!!!

Critter's picture
There are always chances at

There are always chances at nice bucks in both units. I have seen some real nice bucks in 36 above Avon but on private property during the third season but I have also saw a real nice buck up by the sheep corrals on HWY 131 one night and I almost hit him. He was crossing over to 35 and onto private property.

Where at in Utah are you from? I have only been hunting Utah now for 40+ years and this year I have a rife tag for Thousand Lake Mountain. I haven't hunted that hill since the 70's.

TenaciousC's picture
Critter, im hearing the

Critter, im hearing the private word a lot. Sounds like id better find one before he hits the private huh? There looks to be plenty of public to hunt though so i guess ill be alright. Just looking forward to a fun trip. Im going to hunt hard and whatever happens, happens.

I live in the salt lake valley. Ive never hunted or been to that unit you have your tag in. Isnt it down by fish lake? I spend the majority of my time on the manti. I pretty much hunt deer there because im always on the mountain taking elk hunters around. What do you think of the new deer units here? I think its a start but i wish they would do a little more. But im no biologist and probably never will be. At least i think theyre taking a step in the right direction.

Hopefully this colorado trip will turn out though. I kind of feel like it was a gamble trying for the tag but it's much better then sitting home!

Critter's picture
A lot of the private in 36

A lot of the private in 36 can be got around and is mostly in the bottom of the canyons or along the access roads. 35 on the other hand is a little bit different, there is a lot of private and the deer hang out on the top on the mountain where most of it is private and don't come down until the snow forces them to. As you should know Colorado requires the hunter to know where he is at and doesn't require the property owner to post his land. So that is one thing that you need to take into consideration.

I have hunted all over the Manti and for quite a while hunted right where the Seeley Fire is burning. That was some nice deer and elk country. I then moved on to the Henry Mountains and then the Book Cliffs until the shut them down and made them limited entry units. This new unit thing might work if the hunters give it time to do it. My only problem is that most of the hunters are saying that the declining deer population is due to habitat loss but they only look at the Wasatch Front and don't realize that is is happening across the state even in areas that don't have urban sprawl.

BleuBijou's picture
Photo of that

Country from last year!Man I am having some troubles loading pic's tonight! I will try and figure it out!!

BleuBijou's picture
Here is the photo

test

I have deer hunted in both

I have deer hunted in both units 35 and 36, one time each. The landowners in unit 35 patrol their property and it is blocked and can be difficult access with even a light snow or rain. I almost got stuck up there in the 2nd season in 2007. I shot a average 4X4 the first afternoon in 35 and seen two other bucks that could have been shot. He only scored about 140 and I was hunting along the Colorado river. Between the private land and the roads it was a difficult hunt. I have hunted unit 36 several years for either archery elk and had a high-country early rifle tag in 2005. I seen some great muleys up high, but never could close the deal. Otherwise I usually seen more elk than deer in 36, but I was mainly hunting above 10K in Sept. Both can be good depending on weather conditions and if you can get on private land it would even be better.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
colorado unit 40Marklaroif2703/31/2012 11:24 am
Colorado unit 67milehighelk7409/21/2009 19:44 pm
Colorado Leftover rifle buck deer tagsexbiologist602/01/2011 12:42 pm
Unit 47 coloradoJeremyzx900r101/22/2013 08:32 am
unit 62 colorado deerjones32310/20/2009 16:09 pm