7 replies [Last post]
Colorado unit 231 or 14 muzzleloader

I put in for a statewide Muzzleloader Cow Tag in Colorado. I have narrowed my hunting down to these 2 possible units. Anyone on here have any info to sway either way?

If someone is familiar with these 2 units, can i bounce a couple of place names off you just to see if i am in the ball park for finding elk. I've been doing some map reserach and have some ideas

and lastly, is there a unit I am a total idiot for not considering?(i did look at 62 also)

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

jerkylover, I do not know anything about unit 231 or unit 14. I would think almost any unit that has decent elk populations would be pretty good during that time of year for a cow elk. If you already know some areas in these units I would stick with them and learn them better. Elk hunting is all about learning the elk, there habits, and the areas they live in, the better you know all of this the better your success will be.

I do know unit 62 probably better than most, but it is very heavily hunted even during archery and muzzleloader seasons. It is way over scouted from the summer on and even with the amount of elk that live there it can be very, very tough.

Good luck and good hunting !

exbiologist's picture

I've been updating my stats, I'll get back to you in a day or two on that one to help you make a decision.

I've never hunted Colorado at all. Been scouting with maps and Google earth. I am fairly confident in my abilities in finding elk if i am at least in the ball park. Of course getting a shot is another story.... Figured i would just pick a likely north facing slope that is heavily timbered and start looking.

Thanks Ex-bio, you ever thought about marketing your new spreadsheet?

exbiologist's picture

Of the 67 statewide muzzleloader units with over 40 sq miles of public land, I don't think I'd choose either. If you made me choose between the two, 231 is marginally better.
214 has much less public land, and by my reckoning most of the harvest must be coming off of the private land( I have a strange stat that helps determine it). A much higher percentage of bulls are available on the public land in 231. The hunter density (hunters/sq mi of public land) in 231 is less than half that of 214. The success rate of 214 is twice as good as 231, but that's probably more of a reflection of private land hunting than hunting ease. And since you're hunting cows, 231 also makes more sense as you'd have about 4x as many elk/hunter(8.5 vs 2.5).
I've got a laundary list of units that are better (those are the 52nd and 61st out of 67). Just let me know what exactly you'd prefer, and I can steer towards a better unit. Canyon country or classic high mountain elk country? Success or isolation? Trophy potential obviously doesn't matter on a cow hunt, but any other requirements?
I've hunted neighboring units and my scouting has taken me through parts of both units, so feel free to bounce some place names off of me if you decide to stick with one of them.

exbiologist's picture

oh yeah, woops, you said 14.

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

jerkylover sent you a PM .

I've been all over 12, 23, 24 and 231. These units boast the highest concentration of elk and therefore also have the most hunting pressure. Don't be surprised if you see tent camps and blaze orange everyhwhere you look. These areas are quite popular as access is fairly easy. I can probably point you to an area in 231, but be prepared to lace up your boots and do some hiking; you'll need to just to get away from the masses of other hunters.
The elk are in there, but once the big guns go off, they pretty much get conditioned real quick and will head to some of the most inhospitable terrain or onto private.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
colorado unit 40Marklaroif2703/31/2012 11:24 am
Colorado Point Creepexbiologist3006/24/2012 14:12 pm
Elk hunting Unit 76 ColoradoMitch1804/09/2009 15:21 pm
CO UNIT 66 muzzleloader huntshiner19006/18/2010 11:00 am
Colorado Unit 107 Muzzleloader Whitetail Only Tagtruestory50310/13/2011 03:09 am