18 replies [Last post]
Colorado Unit 191

abbaschild95 or fritchelljosh you guys are hunting this unit for the first time this year. Have either of you guys been up scouting? Does any have any ideas on if the weather stays warm where to look. I am still trying to get more info on upper cherokee around the halligan res. area. The area has higher elevation and alot of water and less people. If any one has feed back on this area I would like to hear it.

Colorado Unit 191

does anyone have a 191 update? I am going to scout the area this weekend and hopefully the weather change will cause some movement. Does anyone have any info on upper cherokee park around halligan res?

Colorado Unit 191

its a good hike back there but i think you would see animals. There are usually people walking that road but lots of land and the north fork of the pourdre.

Colorado Unit 191

Halligan isnt upper cherokee its the middel unit. I was back there this past weekend 4 bucks were taken and saw animals every morning by the river. the lowwer unit rabbit creek is a good area, you can walk a road several miles back to lone pine cherokee park. There is also a local elk herd that winters in that area.

Re: Colorado Unit 191
fritchelljosh wrote:
New hunter only been hunitng for three years and never even got to take a shot yet. I normally go to 7 and 8 but didnt get a tag for there this year. I got a tag for 191 can any one give me any advice that may help me with this unit? It is for second season cow elk. Thanks

I talked to an outfitter that lives in red feather Co. He said the elk will move from south to north across the road 74E near parvine lake. There are several camps in the area. Let me know what you see, we are camping along hwy 14. Good luck

The last time I hunted in the unit 191 I shot a doe that had wasting disease, is this still an issue or has it gone down at all?? I plan on hunting either muzzleloader or 3rd rifle season... Any suggestions? Also I am wondering about whether or not to rent horses o plan on hunting far from any roads but want to know how far is to far? Please reply.

Re:

Last time i hunted 191 there was CWD present is there still CWD in this area?

exbiologist's picture

CWD is still present, it won't be going anywhere. But a lot of biologists also believe it has always been there, but we only started finding it because we were looking for it after it was discovered in CSU's research pens. They tried reducing the elk and deer densiy to see if it would affect the occurance rate, but found it had no effect, and are now letting the populations build back up again. There's no such thing as too far away from the roads, especially for deer because you don't have nearly the logistical problem of getting one out. I also don't see the value of a horse in 191, as there's no wilderness, and no place that you can get even 3 miles from a road.
I was just reading a study done on elk movements in respect to hunter pressure from a unit with a lot of public land here in Colorado... and the average straight line distance the elk travelled from before to after the rifle seasons was 12 km. I don't believe deer move quite that much (but I should see if I could find a study on that), but that's a dang long way. In the case studies I was reading about, they never left the public land during hunting season, but they sure moved around a lot. Oh yeah, and the average distance from a jeep trail they found radio collared elk during gun season was almost 2km, and a maintained road was 4k. While I don't think deer are quite as sensitive, it should give you an idea of just how much animals don't like being shot at and just how far you need to go sometimes.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado leftover license listsexbiologist607/09/2011 11:26 am
Colorado Hold 'emexbiologist1807/13/2010 18:29 pm
Zeiss Sports Optics Show Sample Salegr8fuldoug003/06/2012 09:19 am
Colorado Point Creepexbiologist3006/24/2012 14:12 pm
Colorado leftover bull and either sex tagsexbiologist005/21/2010 09:26 am