18 replies [Last post]
Colorado Unit 191

New hunter only been hunitng for three years and never even got to take a shot yet. I normally go to 7 and 8 but didnt get a tag for there this year. I got a tag for 191 can any one give me any advice that may help me with this unit? It is for second season cow elk. Thanks

Colorado Unit 191

I hunted there last year and didn't see any elk except for the last day. My advice is to stay as far west in the unit espcially if the weather is warm. Last year they came down after a really cold night so I hope we have one before then. My buddy shot a bull up there two years ago in the lower cherokee park unit, the one on the red feather lakes road not 80c. We saw the elk in middle cherokee park unit. There isn't much public land up there but the more you get away from roads, the more animals you'll see. I hope it get cold for ya cause the elk will head down! good luck!

Colorado Unit 191

Thanks for the info i will be scoting it this weekend to see if it looks even worth my time!!!

exbiologist's picture
Colorado Unit 191

The far west end is where most of the pressure is. Try some of the small pockets of Forest Service Ground on either the far north or the eastern edge of the Forest Service Boundary. The state ground can be good too. You will rarely see large herds of elk, just small herds, which is why I look for isolated areas.

Colorado Unit 191

I will also be hunting in the 191 unit this year however it is my first year ever hunting.i will be hunting a little east of readfeather lakes. Is that any good for second season rifle?How close can i expect to get them in?please reply!

exbiologist's picture
Colorado Unit 191

Personally, I would get as far away from Red Feather as I possibly can. There certainly are elk in the area, but the hunting is very spotty. The single most important thing you can have is a good map and understand how to use it (in conjunction with a GPS is better). abbaschild95 asked how far you can expect to get them in during second rifle... you can't get them in, you have to go after them. Few western states allow rifle hunting during the rut, which is when and why the elk bugle. 191 is tough. The success rate suggests it can be pretty good, but I believe this is more of a factor of the amount of private land to public land ratio. Like I mentioned before, hunt Cherokee Park, or the northern isolated forest service sections-which you will need a map for. Also think about Chicken Park, east of Red Feather ( I believe it is 191, but might be 8, forget, sorry). There will be road hunters everywhere you hunt. So my rule is to get no less than 1/2 mile from the road 1-2 miles is much better, but not reasonable for a lot of people in many areas.

Colorado Unit 191

Chicken Park is in 8. Do you usually see deer in chicken park? Any Elk?

exbiologist's picture
Colorado Unit 191

There's elk, deer and moose in there. My dog found a moose shed there last summer. The closer you get to the North Fork of the Poudre, the more deer you will see, also in the upper unit of Cherokee Park. I don't see many elk, but they are in there.

Colorado Unit 191

ok thanx!!!i will post a reply later this month to tell every one how it went

Scouting 191

I have been scouting the last couple weeks a few times a week. I have found nothing around the Red Feather Lakes area or anything positive about this unit. This is also my first time hunting this unit. I am going to start looking around Halligan res. and upper cherokee park. Just wanted to see if any knows about elk in those areas or what to expect in the next 3 weeks or so before 2nd season.

Colorado Unit 191

pray that it gets cold in the next few weeks. Try the lower cherokee unit on the red feather lakes road. Its about 6 or 7 miles past livermore. Hike back into there pretty far and you might have some luck. My buddy shot a 6X6 back there 2 years ago but it snowed the night before.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
colorado unit 40Marklaroif2703/31/2012 11:24 am
Colorado unit 67milehighelk7409/21/2009 19:44 pm
Colorado ML Unit 21perfer208/02/2012 17:49 pm
Colorado Sheep Unit S60ChessieFan103/14/2012 13:39 pm
Colorado Unit 44Windstalker76108/02/2012 16:28 pm