7 replies [Last post]
Colorado unit 18/181

I put in for the Colorado left over draw after we did not draw.  We have drawn tags in the areas 18 and 181 for the first rifle season. 

Do anyone have any information about where to get started with either of these areas. We are doing some research on the available hunting land but there is nothing better than personal experience. I come from Western New York <near Buffalo> and want to make the most of our hunt. I have been hunting Colorado for the last 7 years. We are willing to do the leg work to figure out an area but need some sort of direction. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We are looking to pack in where there is no ATV access <wilderness>. My group hunts on foot and we like to try an avoid easy access areas. Would you have any suggested areas to get started on researching access points for 18/181?
GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
This guy has a lot of info on

This guy has a lot of info on those units.

http://www.elkheaven.com/hunter_info.htm

numbnutz's picture
congrats on your tags

congrats on your tags

Thanks for the well wishes! 

Thanks for the well wishes!  I emailed the guy from that sight and I am awaiting a response.  Looking forward to some information to start with.

ecubackpacker's picture
As far as I know, the only

As far as I know, the only wilderness is in Unit 18.  You have the Never Summer and Indian Peaks wilderness areas.  Never Summer is in the NE part of the unit adjoining RMNP and IP is in the SE part of the unit adjoining RMNP.  Never been to either one, so I can't be of more help with those units.  I would suggest getting a Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer which can be ordered from Cabelas, Amazon.com, etc.  I have a hiking book somewhere with info on trails and other useful info, just can't locate currently. No wilderness in 181. Good hunting

Anyone with infor on Never Summer/Indian Peaks Acccess

Ecubackpacker - Thanks!  Would anyone have information on the best access points to these two wilderness areas?  Other information I am looking for would be a good meat processing company in the area?  We will cut up our own meat but will need a place to flash freeze our meat for us if we have any luck.

Thanks to everyone for any information you can provide.

tuckster's picture
Wilderness access

Access to the Indian peaks wilderness can be west of Eldora, on the 4th of July Trailhead.  I was up there last weekend and we did see some scat while we were hiking, but we weren't really looking for sign as I'm not hunting that area.  Lots of small alpine lakes/ponds up there.

Not sure about access to the never summer mountains wilderness area...

Good luck!

ecubackpacker's picture
Never Summer

I don't which access point would be best.  You access NS from the west via Forest Roads 760 & 740, the north via FR 780(4x4 road), the east via Hwy 34 & Trail Ridge Rd through RMNP(you'll have to check on the possession of weapons while traveling through the park) and from the south via FR 123. Hope this helps.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
colorado unit 40Marklaroif2703/31/2012 11:24 am
Colorado unit 67milehighelk7409/21/2009 19:44 pm
Colorado ML Unit 21perfer208/02/2012 17:49 pm
Colorado Sheep Unit S60ChessieFan103/14/2012 13:39 pm
Colorado Unit 44Windstalker76108/02/2012 16:28 pm