2 replies [Last post]
Colorado Muzzleloader elk hunt., 501,48, or 84

I've been away from the site for a couple years, but had gotten solid advice and PM's from several folks in the past.

ExBio is always on the money...

With the great dates this year for the muzzy hunt, I want to get out and hunt the rut. Love calling bulls. With 5 points I have picked a couple units with limited entry for the Archery hunters so huinting pressure will be as low as possible.  My wife will be the hunter on this hunt as I am saving my 14 points for 76 or??? She shot 2 bulls last year from wyo &Az in the rut and wants another action packed hunt. I've created a monster. grandma with a gun, look out. She helps pack out the quarters and all.

My picks are 501, 48, 69/84, We can draw all 3 of these units with 5 points. Unless things change in a big way. I had 80/81 on the list but looking at the numbers, there are over a thousand archery hunters there, only a tenth of that in each these units.

whats the good, bad and ugly out these areas???

thanks, Howdy...

I can help others with units 22s,10,23,6A in Arizona for elk

34,17,52 N.M. elk

24 Wyo elk

67,22,25 Colo  deer

Nevada too...

opssup's picture
Sounds like your wife is on a

Sounds like your wife is on a roll. Great for her!Sorry I cant help with those zones. In the past I've hunted in the more 0-1 point areas and it seems that the hunting pressure keeps the elk a little more quite in colorado than in other states. I agree nothing equals the excitment of a bull elk crazed with rut running you down thinking your a rival. TV hunting shows just dont do it justice! Good luck i hope the excitment is top notch for you guys.

exbiologist's picture
Depends, as always

If you're willing to do a pack in hunt 501 should be worth considering, 69/84 will probably have more mature bulls, but 501 is ok there too.  

Related Forum Threads You Might Like