25 replies [Last post]
Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It all depends on the snow

It all depends on the snow level. I used to work in Avon and Vail and saw a lot of huge bucks coming down but still in the snow into November. I have even thrown snowballs at huge bucks that were hanging around does during the hunting season just off of paved roads but that area was private.

A lot of the larger bucks will hang up high until they get pushed down by lack of feed but a good area is just off of HWY 131 where they cross from 36 to 35 to get lower. I almost hit a 200+ inch buck one morning headed to Steamboat in my company truck, and that was during fourth season, but the private property around there is thick.

Just this last year I had a fourth season buck tag for 44. I talked to some hunters that were hunting a large buck that was pushing 200 inches. Their only problem was that the buck had moved down from where he had been hanging all summer to the golf course and private property inside of the town limits for the winter. When I watched him just before the season he never did come out into the open where we could get a good look but stayed in the trees.

They don't get big by being dumb

opssup's picture
  Yes I here you. The private

Yes I here you. The private land can be a pain. I dont wish to step on anybodies toes for sure. thats what good maps are for...but some land owners, geez...I had a guy in New Mexico insist i was on his property but I showed him where i believed I was on the map and stood my ground. He said I would be talking to the warden but i never saw one. But i still dont wish to repeat that kind of situation....those big ol smart bucks are special and its amazing how many of them are golfers! I can thimk of half a dozen golf courses that see these exceptional players every year. Problem is they just dont like to shoot a round with anyone else!!..

opssup's picture
Hey i have a question since

Hey i have a question since you guys have seen those roads so much. If we get the snow and storms we want to make the 4th season happening, what are the access roads like. Generally i have a small pop-up trailer i tow in aways then my 4x4 with chains to get deeper....will that workout or are the roads such that i might as well leave the trailer on the pavement?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Most of the roads are

Most of the roads are accessable to a 4x4 truck or vehicle.  Towing a popup camper should be no problems but the roads can and do get quite slick to the point that chains are needed.  

There have been times where the National Guard has been used to evacuate hunters during the third season and it may be needed for the fourth season but until it happens you won't know and when and if this happens the hunters vehicles are left in the back country until spring.  

opssup's picture
Thanks again for the heads

Thanks again for the heads up...I did here about that some years ago...My boss might get a bit upset if I told him I had to wait to come back to work when I got my truck - in the spring!!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like