25 replies [Last post]
rdunn's picture
I like options, can you point

I like options, can you point me to a main road heading into each away from private property in 35 and 36? I know I can get maps from CDOW but is there a better source for maps that include the private property on it? the road is just general information as once I get a way into the unit I can start to dissect my hunting areas. What about elk in these units? We are all going to have an OTC tag with us.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
There are 5 main roads into

There are 5 main roads into 35. One is north off of exit 140 at Gypsum. This road will put you up onto the west side of 35 and into low country and cedars. It will also circle to the east to Ebby Creek which is private and to the north and cross over private and end at some private. Ebby Creek out of Eagle and north. This area is 99.99% private and I don't know of any access to public land. Then there are 2 roads off of HWY 131. The first one is about 4 miles north of I70 and will take you through private up to Blue Lake on Horse Mountain and then end at some private toward the north. Then just before State Bridge there is another road that will cross private on the north side of Horse Mountain and stay south of the Colorado River. The last one is east of Burns on the Colorado River road and will cross a lot of private

Unit 36 is easy. There is a access road off of HWY 131 north of I70. One out of Edwards that goes up June Creek, another that goes out of Avon up onto Red and White Mountain, another one out of Vail up to Piny Lake which will connect into the one from HWY 131.

A good map would be a BLM Edition Surface Management map. It shows both private, BLM, and Forest Service land They are 1:100,000 scale topographic and can be bought on line. You want the Colorado Vail map for units 35 and 36. Also a US Forest Service map of the White River National Forest wouldn't hurt. http://plicmapcenter.org/

opssup's picture
Critter what about

Critter what about 45...having a bit more private but still some access to good ground, do you see less pressure there? I'm looking at a fourth season tag.

Critter's picture
I have never hunted 45 but

I have never hunted 45 but there are some nice bucks in it that I have seen along with a pretty good size elk herd. I worked in the Vail/Avon area for 26 years and always saw nice bucks up in the Beaver Creek Ski Resort where you would have to hike into since there are no public roads and on Vail Mountain where you would also have to hike. The roads to access the area are Lake Creek out of Edwards and Tigwan road south east of the town of Minturn. Along with the Shrine pass road out of Redcliff or I70 and then side roads towards the top of Vail Mountain. There is also a access road out of Vail that is accessible during the summer and early fall before Vail Associates shut it down. There is a lot of country in there that doesn't get hunted just because of access from what I know.

There are a few outfitters that do hunt that unit but I have never seen what their results were. Pressure up there is hard to guess. Off of Shrine Pass there may be quite a bit along with Lake Creek out of Edwards but I have never went into there during hunting season to see.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I quit hunting 35 nearly 20

I quit hunting 35 nearly 20 years ago for that very reason. The snow was just not reliable enough for good hunting. Even late season cow tags in December were less than a 50% chance of seeing any.

Critter's picture
Wade, I plan on breaking my

Wade, I plan on breaking my unit 35 curse this year since I will have a third season cow tag and my brother in law will have a fourth season buck tag. With the way that Colorado's point creep is going I figured that he might as well as put in for a unit that he could draw as a non resident that was close to my home. I'll be up there all summer scouting out the deer. I know of a couple of areas if I can get permission to cross over the private that holds some booner bucks but it is a bear to get into when it is dry and I can just imagine what it would be like if there was snow on the ground.

I'm going to use my cow tag to find him a good buck and tie him up. At least that is my plans right now.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
We used to see some darn nice

We used to see some darn nice bucks in January while looking for elk. Juat after you cross the river going up from Dotsero as soon as the BLM starts we used to climb up on top to look around. The deer would be in those tight draws. Above Burns was good then also.

Got my truck hung up on both bumpers one year with all 4 tires hanging on that dirt cut off road that goes straight across to Gypsum, I thought it was a little wider where it had washed out and hit it fast enough to make it up the other side just far enough to get stuck.lol Took over an hour to build up rocks under the tires to launch ourselves back out.

Good luck this year. I llike the area but wasn't worth driving over from Glenwood for cows and no snow.

Critter's picture
That is a fun road.  The

That is a fun road.  The first time that I went down it it was raining and slicker than snow on ice.  I ran into a large rock in the middle of the road and couldn't turn around and go back up so I ended up pushing the rock off of the road with my front bumper which was make out of some 6" channel for a winch.  I have only been over that road one time since and that was on my 4 wheeler. 

Freeware GPS Private Land Ownership data...

Yes, Garmin has the best GPS map support. Regarding private land ownership, I use the 100% FREE “western ownership” freeware/shareware available on gpsfiledepot.com. It has reasonably accurate data for about 11 western states. Available here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/247/ Although you might get somewhat better accuracy with the $100 (per state) commercial product from huntinggpsmaps.com (or a competitor). The commercial products also tend to give you the owner’s name, whereas the freeware will not. But, you could easily get the owner names from the county assessor’s website before leaving home if you have an idea where in your unit you’ll be hunting.

Whichever you use, check key private land parcels via the mapping service available from most county assessor websites.

opssup's picture
I've never actually put boots

I've never actually put boots down in the area. Always been west and southern. Is was just looking for an angle thinking maybe 45 would be less pressure...theres not too many tags for fourth season anyway. Which zone between the 35, 36, 361, an 45 area would you guys go after if you had the tag? Im the type of guy who parks his a** and then hunts hard . I dont usually move around to too many areas. The season is to short to spend too much time relocating.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like