25 replies [Last post]
rdunn's picture
Colorado Help for 2014.

Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I want to start off by saying I am not asking for your honey holes. Some friends and I are planning on coming to Colorado to hunt Mule deer in 2014. I am looking for some sound advice on some units to start looking at. We will have 2 points each. It is looking like second season or third season. I understand the drawing process as it is very similar to Oregon's which is where I live. I have talked with CDOW and they have been wonderful to work with. I have been going some magazines and have an idea of a few places to start looking. The problem with hunting in a state none of us has ever hunted in is not knowing the area to hunt or the terrain. I am planning on a summer scouting adventure next summer when we draw our tag for our unit so we are not going in blind. We are NOT using a guide service. We are NOT looking to trophy hunt but want to look at units that have potential. I have been looking at Eastman’s and Hunt N Fool magazines for help on this. Again I am from Oregon and from my understanding Colorado "Good" units are equal to our Best units. We also want a unit that has an OTC elk tag available as well. A few units I have looked at 62, 53, 55, 44,471,75,751,72,73. Any thoughts on these or any other places I should check out.

Thanks

rdunn's picture
Just looking for some info

Just looking for some info here nothing special

I can tell you that you won'

I can tell you that you won' t be happy with unit 55. 2nd and 3rd seasons are OTC elk . They'll be 2000 hunters there.

exbiologist's picture
Huge differences in those

You might want to figure out how you want to hunt and then look at how those units fit that idea.  For instance, 471 is extremely mountainous, while 62 is a plateau with long finger draws and steep canyons.  Some of those unit have a ton of motorized access, while others are very limited.  Some have ATV trails, others have practically none.  

So, you might take A Look at some maps to help narrow things down a bit.

rdunn's picture
Colorado Help for 2014

Thank you for your responses. The terrain is something we will need to figure out. Hunting with pressure is something we are used to as it seems you can't get away from people even here in Oregon no matter where you go or how far you go in. Basically I am trying to narrow our choices down to about 3-5 areas. Once I have it narrowed down i will then bring my findings of these areas to our group and then let the group decided where we all want to go hunt. From doing a little more research unit 62 is heavily hunted. I have been looking at CDOW website looking at statistics etc and i am figuring in the amount of Elk hunters in the unit we decide on as you can find the number on their website. I have a few other units in mind also. I have a few other units in mind also like 3,4,15,18,27,181. Again I want to thank you in advanced for any and all advice you guys give on here.

I started to come to Colorado

I started to come to Colorado in the late 50's with my dad for elk. It was pretty nice then. When I lost my dad I started to make plans to move here. The trip was no fun without my dad, and I figured living here would be better. It turned out I was right.

I'm not sure i'd enjoy coming here as a NR now. I might look at other states that are less crowded. I won't hunt the rifle seasons anymore, because of the crowds. I turned to muzzleloader hunting, and solitude is much easier to find now.

Good luck on your hunt.

SFC B's picture
Make sure and use the Hunting

Make sure and use the Hunting Almanac on the DOW website.  It has a lot of good info.

exbiologist's picture
You probably won't like most of those

The first list was a lot better, unless you were thinking about 4th season with your 2 points.  Several of those units can be had as leftovers.  Still, they are totally different and for the most part are low success areas. 3 is much more open, though they all sport some open stuff in the low country. But many of those are big time black timber hunts

rdunn's picture
more suggestions

What are the thoughts on units 33,34 or 35?  I understand private property will come into play with thease units but what about the public ground hunting.  I also do understand that i can hunt other units if we draw untit 35.  We will hunt the terrian in which we draw, we dont really care if it mountains or open country we are just looking for Good hunting units.

rdunn's picture
Possible Units picked

I think I may have just decided to go for it. I think we will try out unit 35,36,45,361. Can anyone share info on these untis? I know that there is private property to deal with but I thkn we can get around it just fine. Remember we are not afraid to get off road and walk in 2-5 miles a day. We are all in good shape. I am thinking of #35, but woul dlike to hear about any other units.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
For deer in 35 you are going

For deer in 35 you are going to have to pray for a lot of snow for the first couple of seasons.  There are deer to be had but most of the bucks will stay up high until the snow drives them down.  The one big problem with 35 is the private and the bucks love it since the higher areas are all private so you have to hunt the lower areas.  Not to mention that a lot of the eastern side and south east side of it is almost totally private with only a couple of access roads. 

36 is a lot better choice along with  361.  45 you start to get into problems with the private property again but there are access roads through 45 that will get you up high for some good hunting. 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like