4 replies [Last post]
Colorado GMUs 23,24

Hello fellow hunters! I am a Colorado native who has hunted GMUs 65 and 181 exclusively over the past 19 years. These GMUs have been good to me and I am happy to share my knowledge of them with anyone interested in hunting there. I am hoping to find anyone who could do the same for me as it relates to GMUs 23 and 24 (we will also be able to hunt in units 11,12, and 211 so any info on those would be welcome, and appreciated, as well).

The situation is this: In addition to my 2nd season deer tags in 181 and my late season cow tag in 65, this year am going to be hunting with a good friend (one new to hunting) during the 4th season. As I hadn't had contact with this friend for quite some time, I wasn't aware of his desire to go hunting with me and we didn't solidify plans until a few weeks ago, thus the inability to go scout as I normally do. I have spent some time in the White River NF, but never during hunting season. I have pored over maps and Google Earth and am leaning toward hunting the southern and southwestern boundary of GMU 24, but would like to get input from any and all who have hunted this and the other units I've mentioned.

I pride myself in doing research prior to my hunts, and, frankly, I feel a bit sheepish about asking my fellow Coloradans and others for information this way, but again, I am happy to return the favor for anyone looking to hunt the areas I've used for years.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any responses you are willing and able to share.

I have read through many posts on the site and am impressed with the abundant and accurate knowledge of hunting in the West that I have found. I look forward to sharing in the future.

I wish success for all in their hunting pursuits...

Hal J. Anderson

Colorado GMUs 23,24

So in essence, you're actually looking for an area to hunt in? Seeing that my reply is now just about at the conclusion of the 2nd season, I'm afraid that this is for naught. Sorry, man.

Colorado GMUs 23,24

Boobzilla,

Actually I'm not looking for an area to hunt in per se. I have done extensive research into the 4th season cow harvest statistics for every elk unit in Colorado going back 6 years and compiled a spreadsheet to calculate the cumulative success percentage for each. Although my preference would be to hunt GMU 181 since I am very familiar with it (and B-list tags were available), the 4th season cow success for 181 over the past 6 years averages only 16%. Based on the results of my research, our first choice of units instead is GMU 24, and in the south/southwestern portion of that area.

At this point, my request is simply for insight into access to the area during the later seasons, in particular on CR245 down through Hiner Spring and around Burro Mountain. And if anyone is willing to share information on the other units, that would obviously be appreciated. It seems there are quite a few members of this site who live close to those units. I would hope someone would be able and willing to provide some information - even if it's simply to say how much snow has fallen down there so far. I have tried multiple times to call and speak with a DOW officer in the Meeker office to get some info, but I sit on hold without ever being able to speak to anyone.

I will reiterate what I said in my original post: I am more than happy to share information related to GMUs 65 and 181 to anyone in need of it. I have been hunting there for the last 19 years and have quite a bit of knowledge of those units. I'm not looking for UTMs to anyone's honey hole, but rather general information as indicated above and/or any helpful insights anyone would be willing to share.

Thanks.

Colorado GMUs 23,24

sent you a PM, Cim.

Colorado GMUs 23,24

PM back to you, zilla.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
GMUs 12, 23, 24, Colorado, 3rd Season, doe and cowdwomer108/12/2008 19:09 pm
Colorado GMUs 3/4/301dwomer711/09/2009 09:32 am
First Rifle Season CO GMUs 38, 28Jeter805/09/2009 23:14 pm
general feedback on Colorado GMUs 15 and 27dwomer210/13/2008 13:00 pm
Colorado Cow Elk GMU?COgunmoney402/24/2014 22:15 pm