7 replies [Last post]
Colorado GMU 85/851/140

Me and my father and heading down to the la veta area to hunt for the first time. We usually hunt the craig/meeker areas of 211-11-23-24 but have found that the gas companies have taken over and it is no longer possible to rent a cabin at a decent price.

Anyways were heading south b/c we have heard there are decent elk in the area if your willing to work. Heard some talk on here of the black hawk state trust land, however havent heard anything on Little sheep mountain area or any other public access areas to hunt in the area. I know the bosque de oso requires some PP to get on but are there any other areas anyone would be willing to share a little about. Were heading down the first week of November.

Any help would be graetly appreciated. Good luck

SoCoKHntr's picture
Colorado GMU 85/851/140

The Little Sheep Mountain can be good for a hit or miss, but has drawbacks. The public land, I believe it's a State Trust Land area, is not very large and gets hit hard by locals road hunting and such. The area comes down off of the Sheep into the public and then hits private property alfalfa pastures the elk like down lower.

Many guys would park along side the road opening morning first rifle season and ambush the elk as they crossed from the fields back up onto the mountain. After that first morning barrage it was pretty much over as far as it being a good area. The elk go nocturnal when passing through there. It's laced with roads throughout the small area so, again, a lot of road hunters will cruise through it for a hail mary chance.

Now if you are in shape and willing to hike the public land does stretch up onto the mountain but it's extremely thick and rocky and gets steep so you'd really have to work to get up into a hunt-able area and then really work like hell to get anything out. There are elk back up in there, but again, it's ruff ugly stuff back up in there.

A person could park in the road laced area below and if they stood there all day everyday for season could catch sporadic movement through there at any given time, but wouldn't find resident elk staying in the lower easier to road hunt area.

Hope that helps.

Colorado GMU 85/851/140

appreciate the help. Sounds like you have hunted the area pretty well. Have you had success in these GMU's?

Is there a decent amount of blm land or is most of it private?

SoCoKHntr's picture
Colorado GMU 85/851/140

Not a lot of success in the GMU's you mentioned, but have explored them and small game hunted them a lot. They don't have great areas of public and the public they do have tends to be more rugged. If your going for elk consider up above Bear and Blue Lake if the weather doesn't keep you out. I don't know of the public land in 851 or 140 other then there isn't much of it. Maybe around North Lake as well if there's enough BLM back there. Check out some maps.

Colorado GMU 85/851/140

appreciate the info you gave, were hoping a friend will come through with some access to private land

crossing my fingers

SoCoKHntr's picture
Colorado GMU 85/851/140

No problem, I only wish I could give something useful. It's a great area but unfortunately most is private. I hope you do get that permission and good luck either way!

Colorado GMU 85/851/140

you know how it goes.

It's who you know and not what you know

RUFFNECK's picture
Colorado GMU 85/851/140

IF you go up by north lake you can really get up high weather permitting in to north fork but like socokhtnr said you have to be willing to walk and get away from all the road hunting and the people that like to hunt next to the roads.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am
Muzzeloader Questions(Colorado)Remington7421303/23/2010 20:22 pm
Hows the Colorado elk herds?TwoBear512/28/2010 21:32 pm
Elk & Moose in Coloradobrucearchambault403/16/2010 08:45 am