11 replies [Last post]
Colorado GMU 75/751

I was successful in drawing a first season either sex tag for units 75/751.  This is going to be a DIY solo wilderness pack hunt.  I plan on accessing the wilderness through one of the various trailheads that lead into the Weminuche.  I am limiting myself to about 5 miles.  I fully understand the rigors of packing an elk out of the high country as this will be my fifth elk hunt.  To physically prepare myself I have trained and competed in a half marathon and olympic distance ironman.

The reason I decided on a pack hunt is to get away (relative term) from excessive pressure and to open up more opportunities to move with the game.

If anyone has any information they are willing to share on these units it would be greatly appreciated.

I will keep everyone posted as my planning progresses and hunting season gets closer.

Got out to the range this

Got out to the range this weekend and tuned in a new hand load.  Days like this at the range make me smile.

Again if anyone has any info that they would be willing to share with me on hunting in the 75/751, would be appreciated. Nothing specific just general information.

PreviewAttachmentSize
photo.JPG
photo.JPG1.77 MB
Since I can't go this

Since I can't go this year......I hunted a heard of about 20 elk north of Pagosa last year.  I had to take a cow as the Bull was in the rear and I didn't have enough light left to work around for him.  I will say that the Texan's are plentyfull!  I go to Texas regularly on business and I swear I saw more hunting than I've ever seen in the state of Texas.  However, most stayed in the open, easy area's.  I hunted mainly halfway up the ridge line in the thick stuff.  Opening day, we ran across a few cow's, 2nd day we got skunked, 3rd day we ran across the heard and I finally got my cow the last day of the hunt.  Also, we were hunting between 9500 and 10000 ft, 3 - 6 miles in (most of the hunters only went about a mile or so in).  We tried bugleing and got zero results.  Also, we found most activity to be late morning through early evening.  The place we hunted was up CO Road 411, sorry I can't be more specific - I don't know the area too well, my hunt partner lived/hunted that area and has moved.  Hope this helps and good hunting!  P.S., the bull was freaking big!

Thanks

Thanks for the info AFHunter.  I think that the Pagosa area is to the east of my units that I have drawn.  But thanks none the less and I will maybe keep that in mind for future trips.

Oops!  I just checked my tag

Oops!  I just checked my tag from last year, I drew 75/580.  Sorry about that.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
75/751

I'll send you a pm

I can help you out

I used to live there and hunted there for years.  You don't have to go to the wilderness to find elk as much of that area is roadless. Send me a pm

PM Sent

Raghorn shooter - I sent you a PM.  Thanks upfront for any information that you can provide.

Kite Lake

Does anyone have any information about accessing the norther most region of unit 751 from Kite Lake?  

I have spent a fair amount of

I have spent a fair amount of time recently scouting 75/751 in the Florida drainage and, with the dry summer and some heavy grazing, there are places up there where there is no grass left.  Saw a couple archery guys who said they had seen little sign, but more of deer.  Don't know if that sort of thing would push the elk up or push them down.  Will have to see what evolves before rifle season in terms of weather.  First snow will tell a lot.

Thanks for the inforamtion

Thanks for the info.  Let me know if anyhting that you know of changes.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am
Muzzeloader Questions(Colorado)Remington7421303/23/2010 20:22 pm
Hows the Colorado elk herds?TwoBear512/28/2010 21:32 pm
Elk & Moose in Coloradobrucearchambault403/16/2010 08:45 am