14 replies [Last post]
colorado GMU 70/71 elk

Hello I just joined and new to this forum. I'm going to elk hunt second season rifle and just trying to get a better picture of what I am up against.

I have read alot on the blogs in regards of these area. It appears that there are roads every where in both areas as well as HOV trails.

I have been doing so much research on this hunt. I havent been able to scout the areas which I normally do before buying a tag. I guess I just have the itch since I have been unlucky as drawing tags this year,

I have read these units are heavly populated with hunters as well as elk but it sounds the area is extremly diffcult to find the elk since there is so much pressure.

I am trying to get more information if theres anyone with great advice. I talked with game warden and he said I should find elk as long as I am willing to get a 1 mile or 2 away from the roads.  I was not sure if he was just trying to be saleman to me or is it true.

thanks.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Welcome to the site!  There

Welcome to the site!  There is no shortage of advice here, especially for elk in the rocky mountain states.  Stick around, throw up some photos and stories of your hunts.  I also see from another post that you have jumped in and are giving advice, which is great!!!

Best of luck this fall!!!

exbiologist's picture
we get a lot of questions about those areas

Lots of elk and lots of pressure are relative terms.

So, to be specific, in 2nd season (OTC season, and most popular season)  there are about 4 hunters per square mile of public land in 70 and 3.4 hunters per square mile of public land in 71.  That's a little higher than the 2.9 hunters per square mile of public land average in the rest of western colorado during 2nd season.  

The elk density is right at the average for western colorado of about 5 per square mile.

unit 70/71

I only been to colorado once in my life and that was passing throw.

I dont consider my self as a rookie or pro I guess I am avg or above.

I have been told to look in the areas of LONE COVE PEAk, or Lizard Head.

My plans is to do the 2nd season rifle hunt. I was planning leaving 18th and to try to scout for 3 days before making my mind to by a tag. I got my brother in law which is coming that has never got an elk. I was thinking of getting him a cow tag. I guess I am trying to narrow my time and area search just wondering if you can point me the right directions thanks for your help

exbiologist's picture
no cow tags

Waited too long.  No cow tags left for those units.

buckykm1's picture
70-71

I hunted those units 5 years in a row, i don't think there is any place that you can get a mile from a road.

the best advise i can give you is pick a better unit.

Kevin

Does anyone have anymore

Does anyone have anymore suggestions on any other units maybe unit 62?

exbiologist's picture
want lower pressure

Sounds to me like you'd be happier with a wilderness-heavy unit:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Education/pdf/HunterOutreach/BigGameGMUMapWildAreas.pdf

Generally lower hunter pressure in these units

Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input Exbiologist sorry if I am coming across super needy just trying to get a game plan. Do you know anything about unit 23. Or do you have any recommendations on any other units to be more sucessful.

exbiologist's picture
yep

Success and low pressure are mostly mutually exclusive.  The lower pressure units have much lower success for a variety of reasons, notably road density, terrain and access to the elk.  The higher pressure units have these in spades. 

So, you have to decide what is that you want.  Do you want a potential armed nature walk in a beautiful wilderness setting with very few other hunters and little likelihood of you actually killing an elk?  Or do you want a pumpkin patch and a good chance to kill an elk?

There are some exceptions but they are closely guarded secrets that I sell (westernhuntingdata.com).

Unit 62 is the most heavily hunted unit in the state, but not the most hunter-dense.  Unit 23 is pretty close to being one of the most hunter dense units.

I'm sure you'd have fun in any of the units you've suggested so far, and you would likely get into some elk.  They are pretty decent, and miles ahead of other popular units like 18 or 28, which are hunter dense, but have success rates that hardly improve between archery and rifle season.

I guess I have too look at

I guess I have too look at this way. It sounds the wilderness type areas have alot fewer hunter and less elk. I look at this 2 ways. Less hunters means the elk are not as spooked and you have a possibly of a better chance for a harvest. But the problem I see is they really dont get  pushed so it sounds I looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Now the walk in the pumpkin patch reveals some chances such as the elk are always on the move so you could run into elk more often but it sounds the areas I have looked into have roads, trails to every good spot or area in the unit.

I guess my question is there any middle grounds type units to the both extrems?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am
Muzzeloader Questions(Colorado)Remington7421303/23/2010 20:22 pm
Hows the Colorado elk herds?TwoBear512/28/2010 21:32 pm
Elk & Moose in Coloradobrucearchambault403/16/2010 08:45 am