6 replies [Last post]
Browan89's picture
Colorado GMU 64/65 Muzzleloader Season

Got a bull elk tag in GMU 64/65 for the Sept 19th-24th muzzleloader season this year.

Looking for any tips from those familiar with the two units? Where to go, where not to go, best access in/out, ideal glassing spots, etc.

To me, it looks like 65 may be the best bet given all the public/forest service land compared to 64 but this is my first attempt in these two GMU's and I'm not familiar with the area; a scouting trip is in order!

If anyone is willing to share, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advanced!

Brian

exbiologist's picture

64 isn't a great place for a public land elk hunter. Most of the elk are in 65. The Sneffels country can be tough to hunt because the elk end up the Double RL pretty quickly (Ralph Lauren's place around Dallas Divide). Focus on the Cimarron Country.

Browan89's picture
Thanks for the information!

Thanks for the information! I'll check out Cimarron County.

exbiologist's picture
Haha, no

Country, not county. The various forks of the Cimarron River.

Browan89's picture
Ha is right...Google is

Ha is right...Google is coming up with OK for that "County".

Thanks for clarifying...really appreciate the tip!

gmu 65

Hey Browan89 , we have 4 of us going to 65 this year muzzleloader for cows. We normally hunt 62 but wanted to try something different . Someone we know has hunted there a few years but I'm not sure where, still trying to verify where .

Browan89's picture
Scout 65 (Where to Hunt?)

Hit me up when/if you'd like. Would love to compare notes.

I scouted up near Silver Jack Res off of CR860, 858, and 861...let me tell ya, STEEP country. Checked out Cow Creek but it was too muddy and I almost lost the truck off a cliff so we turned around and our scouting trip was over due to torrential rain.

I'm looking at a 7-9 day "live off your back" trip; e.g. walking mainly and muels if possible but doubtful at this time.

Looking for minimal access, 3-4 mile hike in to find meadows and possibly a nice herd, including a few shooter bulls.

Send me a PM and include your # and I'll give you a call.

Brian