1 reply [Last post]
Colorado GMU 551

Backside of Monarch pass and black sage pass.

I've hunted here my entire elk hunting career (7 years) and have not gotten a shot. Most years bull, some cow. On two occasions I've come close with a rifle. I've stuck with the area for so long because 1) family friends provide comfortable lodging for free, and 2) I've become pretty familiar with the area and I am not sure I want to put in several years learning a new area.

I've become open to the idea of broadening my horizons, sucking it up, and learning a new area that may have more potential. Just when I think I'm ready to do it, I remember the nice bulls I've seen taken from the area. Brick Wall,)

I archery hunted a couple of years ago and am getting back into it this year (loved it btw).

What are your opinions on the area? I usually don't run into many hunters, but I don't see alot of elk either. Just asking to get my pre-season homework started Thumbs up

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Colorado GMU 551

I wish I could be of service but I have never hunted the area. It's good that you're opening up to new areas though. One of the most satisfying feelings in hunting is to put in your time, do your homework and find a new place to hunt from scratch. I say this now with the intentions of starting up this search after our nightmare up in unit 4 last year.

I too think it's time to move on. Good luck and happy hunting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am
Muzzeloader Questions(Colorado)Remington7421303/23/2010 20:22 pm
Hows the Colorado elk herds?TwoBear512/28/2010 21:32 pm
Elk & Moose in Coloradobrucearchambault403/16/2010 08:45 am