4 replies [Last post]
Browan89's picture
Colorado GMU 44 (4th Rifle Season--Nov 14/18)

Hi,

Considering an EE or EF GMU 44 tag for the 4th rifle season. Have NO idea where to go and in particular where NOT to go given the inevitable pressure and blaze orange that will likely be EVERYWHERE.

Anyone hunt this area and have success? If so, care to share some pointers given my lack of knowledge hunting in this GMU not to mention CO in general. I'd like to get AWAY from roads/hunters and I'm willing to hike/pack; in fact we are planning on setting up a drop camp w/ a wall tent etc--possibly have a couple 4 wheelers as well.

Thanks in advanced!

Brian

exbiologist's picture
Weird

You're like the 3rd guy here this  year that has talked about a 4th season drop camp. Unless we  are exceptionally dry, I wouldn't risk it. And you're not going to be able to have 4 wheelers and a drop camp. That's a one or the other thing, unless your definition of drop camp is very different than mine.

Also, I've never found 4th season pressure to be all that bad. Anyway, point is, I'd want to be truck based and mobile if necessary foR 4th season. 

Browan89's picture
Thanks for the reply! 4

Thanks for the reply!

4 wheelers are out of the question...

Re: not risking it.  In your opinion is it becasue its likely going to be too cold/snowy (knowing that predicting the weather is impossible)?

Any advice on the unit in general?  Where to hunt, where not to hunt, what are some decent places to begin a hike into where the Elk will be?

Appreciate the info, ExBio!

Brian

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The weather during that time

The weather during that time can be anything from hot and dry to -20 and 3' of snow in unit 44.  As for where the elk are, they are all over the unit.  Good spots to check would be around Yeoman Park and Fulford, along with the areas around Sylvan Lake State park up towards Crooked Creek Pass.  I have also seen elk right down into the subdivisions outside of the town of Eagle at that time of year.  This year depending on what happens between now and then water will be a rare thing to find.

If you are a non resident you might consider just the cow tag since it cost less than the either sex tag for when you are just learing the area.   

Browan89's picture
Thanks!

Much appreciated Critter!

I'm a Colorado resident, although, I've never hunted the state...only MT as a kid up through my HS years.

Again, thanks for the information!

Brian

Related Forum Threads You Might Like