7 replies [Last post]
colorado elk unit 4,5,441

Anyone hunted these areas for elk? Any info would be great

exbiologist's picture

I hunted there last year with some friends who regularly hunt it. It's a war zone. We all tagged out opening morning but I will never go back. Way too many people for my liking, but there's plenty of elk, but when they come running to you their tongues are hanging out, they're panting from being shot at in ever single drainage they come to, several of them are wounded, etc.
And if you don't see any elk, just head towards the shooting, if you dare. It was a real turn off for me, but the country isn't all that rugged (compared to other elk country, not compared to antelope country), road access is good (
too good), it's scenic, good grouse hunting, lot's of openings to shoot at elk who are running for their lives, really would be great if they gave out half as many tags. That was first season, I can't imagine how much worse it is during second season. It's a real battle to find a campsite, we got there two full days early and if wasn't for someone holding "our" spot who got there a week early, we would have a had a tough time finding a site.
But, if you've never shot an elk before, and enjoy seeing lots of animals, this is a good way to get a crack at them. And there are outfitters all over the roads if you can't pack your own elk out.
I'm badmouthing the unit even though I shot a 7x7 bull last year, so that might tell you just how much I disliked the whole place.

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

I too hunted there the last two seasons.......alot of hunters and saw fewer elk last season. We we hunt...hardly any road access...horseback ot foot only...but that not keep anybody out. I was there 1st season elk and 2nd season deer....during 2nd season hardly saw another hunter, at the same time I did not see a single elk since opening day 1st season. I did however take a nice buck on opening day.

I like seeing alot of animals, but not all the hunters.....I know it's getting late but I have not decided if I want to ga back or not.

Some friends of mine have trespass hunt avialble in Unit 441 for 4th season if you are interested. NW CO is always a zoo during 1st, 2nd, 3rd season. If anyone is every considering this area look strong at 4th season. It is either sex with lower # of tags. There are 1075 either sex tags for 1st season plus cow tags, 4th season only has 250 either sex tags plus cow tags.

hawkeye270's picture

This is where my family conducts it's main rifle hunt every year and along with Exbio I don't think we will be going back. There have always been lots of hunters there but last year was the worst. We hunted during 2nd season and the only word to describe it was ZOO. If you like walking up on people (and having people walk up on you, go hunt unit 4)

Exbio is not exagerating... if you see elk, they will be running and their tongues will be hanging out. A band of elk that started with 6 mature cows, a spike, and a calf was widdled down to the spike and the calf over two days as they bounced around the drainage like pinballs getting shot up. There was truly no place for them to go where there wasn't orange dots blazing away at them.

I don't know yet where we will end up for our rifle hunt but it won't be THE ZOO.

HeavyC's picture

I will agree with HuntHayden as 4th season there are very few others out! I also feel compelled to add that with so much public land in these areas you can find uncharted land so to speak. Though you will definately have to hike far far away from any established road or even trail to do so! ...and as I like to do; I would suggest areas like Goosehunter Jr mentioned that do not allow motorized travel it does help a little bit ...amazing how many folks won't hardly leave the trail if they have to walk! Shame on You!

hawkeye270's picture

Another problem with 4: I have never hunted another unit with more people with utter disrespect for atv closures. I do get off the beaten path in this unit and always seem to get passed on trails closed to all motorized travel by some jackass on his atv. Two years ago, on the 2nd and 3rd days of the hunt, I bivy hunted about 4 miles off a trail that lead down a big finger ridge (and I was 3 miles down that spur road when I jumped off it). It was my first bivy hunt and I thouroughly enjoyed it till on my way out... I heard what sounded like a helicopter getting closer and closer. I had gotten back within a quarter mile of the trail and saw movement on it. I brought up my binoculars and was delighted to see a mob of 9... count em, 9 atvs charging up the trail. It's this BS that makes me want to put 130 grain slugs at 3125 fps into the engine blocks of atv's I come across parked down closed trails.

Sorry for the venting session boys but it just goes to show you how frustrating last year was.

Sad to see it hasn't changed since 2001 when I hunted in 4. :(

Mav

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
colorado unit 40Marklaroif2703/31/2012 11:24 am
Colorado unit 67milehighelk7409/21/2009 19:44 pm
Colorado ML Unit 21perfer208/02/2012 17:49 pm
Colorado Sheep Unit S60ChessieFan103/14/2012 13:39 pm
Colorado Unit 44Windstalker76108/02/2012 16:28 pm