9 replies [Last post]
exbiologist's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 09/19/2008
Posts: 2399
Colorado elk results up

Like it says:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/DrawResultsAndPrefPoints/

ecubackpacker's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: NC
Joined: 09/11/2009
Posts: 1639
Re: Colorado elk results up

Thanks, Ex. Another pt for me. Now waiting on deer.

exbiologist's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 09/19/2008
Posts: 2399
Re: Colorado elk results up

First impressions: there are a ton of leftover cow muzzleloader tags in the old statewide areas. The hybrid draw did increase points required for the northwest units. The other trophy units: 40, 76 and 61 had their preference points required increase in some hunts. As expected, muzzleloader points required was all over the map. Some bull and either sex tags took more than one point, some took none. Many of the nonresident muzzy elk tags went up to 3 points. Interestingly, it seems that mostly just the muzzy units closer to the Front Range increased the points required for residents. For instance 28 now requires 1 point for the either sex tag, but 62 did not have an increase in the points required. Of course it won't stabilize for a few years, but I like that you can now draw cow tags with 3rd choices or even get some as leftovers.

HeavyC's picture
Offline
Location: Greeley, CO
Joined: 07/19/2008
Posts: 635
Re: Colorado elk results up

Got my either sex RFW tag, mid Dec here I come!!! :\:D/

exbiologist's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 09/19/2008
Posts: 2399
Re: Colorado elk results up

Way cool! RFW either sex tags can be sweet. Thumbs up
I can't believe everyone in my party drew. We are going to have a big ass backcountry camp. Probably 7 hunters. It's gonna be nuts, but we have a good mix of bull and cow muzzy tags, plus a couple of archers to spread everything out. I was really worried that there would only be one guy drawing the tag, and we'd have to position our camp so others could hunt a neighboring unit.
I'm PUMPED!!!! :\:D/

Offline
Location: Midwest
Joined: 03/21/2009
Posts: 41
Re: Colorado elk results up

I realize that very few people would feel sorry for a guy like me with 15 points built up. . . but even I did not draw for the Unit 76 early rifle season tag that I put in for.

There were 5 applicants that had 15 points, and 2 of those people received tags. Congratulations to those who did, and now I have 16 points for next year.

I had considered applying for Unit 61 first season rifle, but my odds there turned out to be about the same as what 76 ended up being.

mav
Offline
Joined: 12/28/2008
Posts: 8
Re: Colorado elk results up

Exbio, thanks for the link.

I have some questions and or observations. If I understand the preference point system, it doesn't "take" a certain number of points it "took" so many points. You really don't know until after the draw. In theory if everyone decided to stay home one year, you could draw a trophy unit with no points. Is that correct? Obviously that doesn't happen.

A little back ground on my situation. Nonresident with a nonresident and a resident son. We applied for PP's last year (couldn't hunt last year). Looking at last year's stats we seemed to have a very good chance at one resident EM501 2R and two nonresident EF501 2R for 2010. No such luck this year. smile Unlike last year where one PP would have got those tags this year the resident son only had a 65% chance at his tag. Looking further at the stats, it seems that a nearly 15% reduction in EM501 2R tags and a 20% increase of residents with one point or more laid waste to our best laid plans. ;-) I see now what they mean by point creep.

This possibility is why we chose the second season. For those of us who have to schedule vacation dates in advance, we can still hunt, just a different (OTC) unit. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

Thanks for any and all input.

HOGGETTER's picture
Offline
Location: CenCal
Joined: 11/05/2009
Posts: 767
Re: Colorado elk results up

I received a P-point

exbiologist's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 09/19/2008
Posts: 2399
Re: Colorado elk results up

Mav, yes, the draw is based on demand, not on a set number of points. What is published is the minimum preference points required, but I think it's actually a three year average. And yes, if everyone stayed home, you could draw any tag you wanted.

The hybrid draw was supposed to address the point creep in the non northwest trophy units, but I'm guessing a lot of guys said , ""f" this, I don't want to wait any longer", so they put in for the next tier down trophy units, 76, 61, 40. And then the muzzleloader draw probably screwed up a lot of the other tag demand too.
We won't really have a solid idea of what to expect for another couple of years, while people chase 2nd choices or 0 and 1 point units, and demand levels out. Which may never happen. People are getting much more savvy about how to play the preference point games.

mossbuck35's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/29/2010
Posts: 117
Re: Colorado elk results up

Yes!!! It looks like me my mom and dad will all be hunting cow elk this year!!! thanks ex for the link!!! Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado draw resultswildhare540304/23/2010 15:54 pm
Colorado sheep and goatexbiologist1406/25/2012 10:46 am
Colorado Sheep resultsCentennial405/08/2013 08:51 am
Colorado Draw Results Are Posted for ElkCrazyElkHunter1605/25/2010 21:49 pm
2011 Colorado Mountain Goat Draw Results are up.Hiker1405/13/2011 10:33 am