9 replies [Last post]
HOGGETTER's picture
Colorado Deer 711 or 70

I was thinking about burning my four non res. deer points this year and was looking at fourth season unit 711 or third season unit 70. This will be a DIY hunt and i will be all by my self, my partner i was building deer points with died of cancer a year and a half ago. I have not hunted the low country over there and was wondering if anybody had some ideas.

exbiologist's picture
Re: Colorado Deer 711 or 70

For some reason I can't pull up the stats right now, but it looks like 4th season deer hunting in 711 was new in 2008, but I have a 0 percent success in 70 in 2007. I'm not sure if that was a data entry error or not, so I'd first look into that. I wouldn't want to hunt a unit that had 82% success one year, than 0% the next. I can't get the pdf to download from the DOW right now, so I have no idea if the error was on my end. Otherwise all the stats are virtually identical when the public area is factored in, 70 is larger, but the pressure is the same. Only difference is 70 had a 20% higher success in 2008 than 711. Just want to know about that 0 in the 2007 column.

exbiologist's picture

Ok I just checked, it wasn't an error on my part, it really does say 0 success, but there were only two hunters that year.

HOGGETTER's picture

Hey ex when will CO post there 2009 hunt/ harvest statisics for deer/elk. Has unit 22 changed much, looks like i can draw that easy third season, i hunted it twice 20 years ago by piceance creek off black sulphur rd., maybe therers a better place in 22 than that area?

exbiologist's picture

Last year the stats didn't come out till the 3rd week of March if I remember right, I'll try to update my stats within a few days of it coming out, but the dang population estimates aren't normally out until just after the draw, so I'll have to use 2008's population numbers with 2009 harvest stats at first (elk don't fluctuate near as much as deer, so it won't affect that, but deer could be a little screwy. I'm not hearing about big winterkill, so it shouldn't be too critical and if we do get some nasty spring storms it will be after the population surveys anyway). 22 is a great deer unit, and certainly a much better value than 711 or 70 with 4 points if you're looking for a trophy. They kill a much lower percentage of bucks and at a higher average success rate. The deer densities are comparable though, with 711/70 getting a slight edge. Piceance creek is certainly a classic area, where most of the DOW's research on deer management has taken place.

HOGGETTER's picture

Thanks ex , With the third seasons dates being Nov 6-14 2010, that is fantastic Big smile its comparable to last years fourth season dates which were Nov 11-15 2009

HOGGETTER's picture

I sure like the way CO posted there season dates for the next 5 years, I think the third rifle season is going to harvest some great bucks and might cut into the trophy harvest numbers that would normally be seen in the fourth season. With some weather i think the third season will be the way to go, you should get first crack at them big muillies that like to come out last.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator

It is interesting in what you say about the possibility of some more of the larger bucks being harvested in the third season. My take on this is that there may be a few but not a lot. In the area that I used to work in there are some big deer and I mean big. You wouldn't believe what I use to see wandering down off of the hills after even the fourth season. I had a chance one year in the week before Thanksgiving to run over one of the biggest 4x4 that I have seen. I was in a company truck heading towards Steamboat Springs and the pass that I was going over is a main migration route for the deer off of Red and White mountain to the north of Vail. The more that I thought about it the more I thought that I should of hit him just for the rack.

Another thing is that hunters do not get out and hike the hills like they did 20 or 30 years ago. They drive their truck or atv to a vantage point get out and hike to the edge of the hill, glass the side hill and then turn around and head back to there vehicle. Now on a cow elk hunt that might be ok but if you want to bag that 190 pt buck deer it isn't going to work unless you get lucky. I just wished that I could hike the hills like I use to do but two bad knees did away with that a few years ago. I can hike to where the nicer animals are at but if I tried to get it back to the truck after the shot they would be sending somebody out for me.

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

Critter wrote, "Another thing is that hunters do not get out and hike the hills like they did 20 or 30 years ago. They drive their truck or atv to a vantage point get out and hike to the edge of the hill, glass the side hill and then turn around and head back to there vehicle. Now on a cow elk hunt that might be ok but if you want to bag that 190" buck it isn't going to work unless you get lucky."

I agree completely on this one Critter, to many guys are reading all these books and magazines on spot and stalk and watch these hunting shows about the some thing. What ever happened to guys getting out there and getting in the woods. We use to even do deer drives while archery hunting and I grew up on the Western Slope here in Colorado.

I will probably be putting in for 2nd season this year just because more people will be gunning for the longer and later 3rd season to try and find those bigger bucks. Evil!

exbiologist's picture

The nice thing about 22 and most of the units around there is that there is decent access to both the tops and bottoms of the many of the mesas. So yeah, third season is a good time to go and not blow point in an overvalued unit with a 4th season. I am a little concerned that 3rd season buck tags will be in much more demand this year. I'm putting in for one that takes a point. I have two points, but some of the guys in my group only have 1, and last year, only about 30% of those with just one point drew. Might be tougher this year. Don't know.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
New to Mule Deer huntingColorado606/23/2005 12:59 pm
Colorado Mule Deerzilla69_98506/28/2014 13:36 pm
NW colorado deer huntingBuckBuster26008/25/2014 22:12 pm
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am