4 replies [Last post]
Colorado Cow Tag area 20 Jan. 6 - 16th 2008, suggestions

I have a late season cow tag for Co. area 20, any suggestions would be appreciated.

gsp2west, Welcome to BGH! Big smile I haven't hunted 20 before. If you can find some private land by Estes Park you should find some. This time of year they are all over Estes.

I haven't hunted that area either, but---I assume you are hunting for the meat---a big old girl that late in the year in snow country will probably be on the tough side. My cold season experience is that you are better off shooting a smaller cow in the late season.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Esteshunter's picture

I live in Estes Park, and like the poster said earlier, you would be much better off trying to find someone to let you on private land. There is some National Forest land south of town on either hwy 36 or 7. The roads are 4wd and are probably terrible in winter if not closed. It's likely that elk wouldn't be that high up anyway during winter. But you never know. I've heard that the Sombrero Ranch lets some people on, but probably costs $$. Another thing, beware of tree hugging flakes if you hunt private land, make darn sure your animal doesn't pile up on one of these properties!

Lab
Unit 20

It's not too hard to hunt if you are willing to drive a bit. Yes- there is private everywhere but there are some public and if you drive, get out and hike a bit you can find the herds. They move around a bunch so you need to move too. They move on and off public so just keep up. I have had really good sucess so far. 5 for 5 years. Lab

Related Forum Threads You Might Like