13 replies [Last post]
SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Colorado 2014 Big Game books out and on Line

Got my 2014 big game and sheep book in the mail today. I also looked on line and saw the book is also post. Application deadline is early this year as it is 01 April.

elkkill06's picture
Colorado Biggame brochures

SGM,

I received mine on Saturday and already have the deer tags sent out. I am debating on some of my other options for elk and bear, but will have them out of the house her soon.

Thanks for the heads up and good luck on the draws this year and your upcoming hunts to be.

Quinton

What do you mean

elkkill06 wrote:

SGM,

I received mine on Saturday and already have the deer tags sent out. I am debating on some of my other options for elk and bear, but will have them out of the house her soon.

Thanks for the heads up and good luck on the draws this year and your upcoming hunts to be.

Quinton

elkkill06 wrote:

SGM,

Quinton

Quinton

I thought you have had your elk area picked out for a few years now and this was going to be the year you drew.  Is there something in your area that you are finding or not finding that is giving you pause?

elkkill06's picture
unit 40 elk

Raghorn shooter wrote:

Quinton

I thought you have had your elk area picked out for a few years now and this was going to be the year you drew.  Is there something in your area that you are finding or not finding that is giving you pause?

Raghorn,

I really would love to do the hunt that I have been planning the last couple of years, but my father asked if I would archery hunt elk with him this year. He is 65 and in "OK" shape, but not the best, and he more then likely does not have a whole lot more elk hunts in him. So I figured I will put off my hunt and hunt with him as long as he is able.

The area we will be hunting is a OTC unit that we hunt deer off and on in, but we found  something very cool last year and we will see how it turns out.

Quinton

SGM
SGM's picture
Will be sending mine in early

Will be sending mine in early March as that is how the budget is set up. Putting in for ML deer and cow elk and maybe sheep but goat, antelope, moose and bear will be points again this year. Was going to put in for moose but have to wait due to budget issues.

I'll buy mine at the last

I'll buy mine at the last minute to keep me from changing my mind.

prhunter's picture
Unit 78

I'm considering unit 78 for deer and cow elk during the muzzleloader season.

What are my chances of getting drawn or harvesting an animal?

SGM
SGM's picture
PR your chances are pretty

PR your chances are pretty good. No points are needed for either critter. Just a reminder that Unit 78 falls under unit 77 during the draw.

Buck deer: 175 tags, 206 folks put in for this tag. 91 residents who took 90 tags and 114 non residents of which 75 got drawn. Only folks who put in as first choice drew a tag. So about a 65% chance on deer without a point. If you have a point it would be a 100% chance.

Cow elk: 60 tags, only 48 folks put in for this tag as a first choice so all who did drew. Only 9 where residents so the non-res folks did well.

As for getting an animal I cannot say as I never hunted that unit.

prhunter's picture
Thanks for the info SGM

Thanks for the info SGM. I figure that since I've never hunted CO before this would be a good way of getting to know the unit.

my butt hurts

WOW! Big jump in NR bull tag price this year. I'm not sure what the DOW is thinking here? Keep raising the price until people stop coming to CO? I've bee hunting elk in CO for twenty years and I've seen my share of price increases. This one is huge. Of course, I can always take opening day off and go fishing. What a BS move. Pawning off a fishing license as a means to sell a big increase.

prhunter's picture
I feel the same way

I feel the same way. Arizona raised their tag prices dramatically this season as well. I will not be going there to hunt.

In Colorado I was going to put in for several species but that wont be the case this year.

Hopefully New Mexico will keep their tags at what they are for a while.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2012 Colorado Big Game Books are on lineSGM202/06/2012 18:07 pm
Colorado Big Game BooksSGM302/15/2013 15:31 pm
good books??BuckBuster26203/22/2014 11:54 am
Land Owners Tag wanted for the upcoming 2014 1st rifle season, Unit 67 in Coloradojukeboxdon305/31/2014 15:38 pm
2014 ProclaimationJSmitty301/09/2014 07:04 am