7 replies [Last post]
Bowhuntrben's picture
Colorado 2013 trip

I'm back from my Colorado elk hunt.  I had a great time with my dad.  We got to the area 3 days before the season started to try and locate some animals and get familiar with the area.  We ended up seeing a big bull the day before the season, so we stayed in that area the rest of the trip.  We saw a cow on opening day, and that was the last elk we saw.  We did see a pile of mule deer too which was awesome.  Too bad we couldn't have had a deer tag too!

A surprise we had on the trip was finding a bunch of sheds.  I assumed there would be snow when we got there and finding sheds wouldn't be likely.  We found 33 sheds during the trip with 12 of those hardly resembling antlers anymore.  The other 21 sheds were ok.  Of the sheds, 4 were from elk, and the rest were from mule deer.

Even though we didn't get an elk, it was a great time.  I was really happy getting to see the bull the day before the season.  Maybe next time I'll see him a day later!

I want to thank Quinton for the tips he gave me which helped make this such a great trip.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
It is always tough going into

It is always tough going into a new area that you really don't know even with a lot of advise.  It does sound like you had a great time and if you go back you will be even more prepaired.  It is funny how you can see a nice animal the day before the hunt and then when it comes the legal time to hunt them they are nowhere to be found. 

WishIWasHunting's picture
Sounds like a good time to

Sounds like a good time to me.  Always good to get out there with the people that are important to us!  It is also fun finding sheds, even if you didn't find the animals you were searching for with the antlers still attached alive in season.  Looks like you saw some nice mule deer and got some nice pictures to remember the trip.  Thanks for sharing, and here's to next year.  

SoCoKHntr's picture
Out in the field

With Dad in beautiful country hunting.... Can't be beat!

Great pics thanks for sharing.

Retired2hunt's picture
Those are some great pictures

Those are some great pictures of your hunt - thanks for sharing them.  It looks like regardless of getting an animal you had a great time and that is what counts.  Thumbs up

COMeatHunter's picture
Thanks for sharing the pics

Thanks for sharing the pics and comments! Hope you have another great trip soon!

SGM
SGM's picture
Great photos and finding

Great photos and finding those sheds was a real plus too. Looks like you had a great time and now you know a good place to put in for a nice buck.

elkkill06's picture
Very cool !

Ben,

Glad to see you and your dad had a great trip and congrats on all the sheds ! Thumbs up Thanks for sharing the great pics and story.

Quinton

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
What am I doing? DIY CO Elk Huntballsie2808/11/2013 17:56 pm
Advice on Elk hunting.doublej1901/20/2007 17:57 pm
first archery elk hunt in coloradowhitetailfreak1104/09/2011 22:47 pm
Colorado weekend tripredrider307/19/2008 13:35 pm
Colorado GMU 15 Attakapas24009/18/2012 19:16 pm