9 replies [Last post]
bowhunterasu's picture
COLORADO 2012 ARCHERY ELK ALMOST HERE!!!

I have waited 11 months for elk season and the last few weeks have been hell on my wife; with all the practiced calls, washing and packing gear, and the elk hunting shows. She can't wait for me to "get it out of my system". I am officially a Co elk junky... CAN'T WAIT TO GO!!

I will be in unit 71. What area/GMU will you arrow you Trophy?

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
You just need to get your

You just need to get your wife out there with you so she can become an elk junky too. My wife is a junky so I am very lucky but we will be using the smoke poles this year and counting down the days. Only 25 days to go for our fix.

bowhunterasu's picture
not gonna happen

She wants to shoot the bow but... to kill something won't happen. She can't kill a spider. But she will eat game meat ever day becaues " it's so natural and low fat". I am allowed to go and I will be happy with that. She actually pushes me to bring home some meat. 

BuckBuster26's picture
my wife is the same way she

my wife is the same way she LOVES going hunting and all the preperation but she WILL NOT kill anything even tho she loves to spot the animals for me.... so i guess she is an accomplice haha!

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
At least your ladies are pro

At least your ladies are pro hunting and are positive in you guys going. It would be way worse if they nagged all the time about it and did not want you to hunt. As I have said I am a lucky guy that my wife like to going hunting and even pull a trigger. She will help with gutting and cleaning although she cannot watch as I pull the gut pile out. After it is out she is fine. When we get to the butchering part she is right there rinsing the meat and wrapping it for the freezer as I am cutting it up. It sure is better work as a team then doing it by yourself. Good luck and hope to see some photos of your hunt.

COLORADO 2012 ARCHERY ELK ALMOST HERE

Bowhunterasu, where in 71 are you planning to hunt?  I will be there for muzzy season arriving on 9/4 on the Taylor Mesa area.  We may cross paths.  Unfortunately, I only have a cow tag, but we have a couple of bow hunters with us.

bowhunterasu's picture
We are going to start in the

We are going to start in the lone cone area actually unit 70 (0n the border of 70/71), and see how we do we have ten days to get it done then its back to work. We had luck there last year. Saw quite a few elk 1/2 mile from the road. Road hunters just drove on by and never even saw the elk. We glassed the elk and as trucks were heard they just moved in a few yards deeper into the cover. 

BleuBijou's picture
Best of Luck

to all!!! Hope you all have a safe and successful hunt!!

bowhunterasu's picture
Disrespectful hunters rant! sorry in advance

They beat us again! We had many chances at cows but passed, one at 10 feet. But it appears that last year someone or a group of hunters went into lizard head and wiped out the bulls. We found over 30 capped bull skulls. Almost all were with complete skeletons near by.

We also found a complete rifle camp abandoned from last year -rotting / mildewed. Big Tents (4), a box of 300wsm bullets new, 300 wsm empty cartridges (23), therma rest pad (5),  5 huge tarps, an ez-up canopy, stoves, very nice outfitters cots (6), sleeping bags(3), lanterns, moving blankets, old horse feed, horse ropes( 1000') We donated this to an outfitter in the area, 50+ empty propane tanks, trash, elk bones ( from more than one, skulls( 3-  2cow / 1bull capped) and chairs. Very expensive stuff left  May have been a camp of poachers from out of state from what we could find it appears to WI folks from supplies left and some tags on merchandise show WI shipping. Lazy a-holes  Mad Censored brought all this in and left it dumpped in a heap under a tarp. They also threw axes into the trees and chopped down some large living pines for fun. Now I see why out of state hunters are looked down on!!!! We removed as much trash as we could carry ourselves, but we have gps'ed the coordinates and will be sending it to DOW and Forest Service. It is a mess left in the wilderness and it ruins other hunters experince in the wilderness area. 

Again sorry for the ranting... respect the forest and the wildlife for our future use.

BleuBijou's picture
UNBELIEVABLE

bowhunterasu wrote:

They beat us again! We had many chances at cows but passed, one at 10 feet. But it appears that last year someone or a group of hunters went into lizard head and wiped out the bulls. We found over 30 capped bull skulls. Almost all were with complete skeletons near by.

We also found a complete rifle camp abandoned from last year -rotting / mildewed. Big Tents (4), a box of 300wsm bullets new, 300 wsm empty cartridges (23), therma rest pad (5),  5 huge tarps, an ez-up canopy, stoves, very nice outfitters cots (6), sleeping bags(3), lanterns, moving blankets, old horse feed, horse ropes( 1000') We donated this to an outfitter in the area, 50+ empty propane tanks, trash, elk bones ( from more than one, skulls( 3-  2cow / 1bull capped) and chairs. Very expensive stuff left  May have been a camp of poachers from out of state from what we could find it appears to WI folks from supplies left and some tags on merchandise show WI shipping. Lazy a-holes  Mad Censored brought all this in and left it dumpped in a heap under a tarp. They also threw axes into the trees and chopped down some large living pines for fun. Now I see why out of state hunters are looked down on!!!! We removed as much trash as we could carry ourselves, but we have gps'ed the coordinates and will be sending it to DOW and Forest Service. It is a mess left in the wilderness and it ruins other hunters experince in the wilderness area. 

Again sorry for the ranting... respect the forest and the wildlife for our future use.

Thank you for taking what you could carry and contacting the Division!!!!!!! Define Slobhunter!!!!  Hope those elk were taken Legally, but have some doubts!!!! Thanks again for being  a true sportsman!!!