20 replies [Last post]
Umpqua Hunter's picture
CO Unit 61 Muzzleloader Elk or Unit 201 Archery Elk?

Next year I will have 20 points for elk in Colorado. I could draw a Unit 61 muzzleloader elk tag next year (2012), but the muzzleloader season will be September 8-16, and that is the earliest it has been since 2007. On the other hand I should have a 1 in 3 chance at a Unit 201 archery tag. What are your thoughts on these earlier dates for muzzleloader next year in Unit 61. Is the rut normally in full swing during the Sept 8-16 dates in 61? If those early dates are risky, I might just hang in there for Unit 201 next year.  One other piece of the puzzle, my wife just got into hunting wants to go on this hunt and experience the elk rut for the first time.  I would like to hunt an area that is a bit easier physically for her sake.  Thanks!

exbiologist's picture
that does seem a little early but....

But with that higher sex ratio around there, I'd expect there to be good bugling regardless.  Some other units you might want to consider would be 2 and 10 and drawing archery tags there should be closer to possible.

Umpqua Hunter's picture
What is the bull cow ratio in 61?

exbiologist wrote:

But with that higher sex ratio around there, I'd expect there to be good bugling regardless.  Some other units you might want to consider would be 2 and 10 and drawing archery tags there should be closer to possible.

Exbiologist:  The bull/cow ratio is a good point.  Do you have an idea what the bull/cow ratio is in 61?  My experience is when it gets up over 30 bulls to 100 cows the rut is usually pretty strong, and when it gets over 40 to 100 its usually a crazy rut.  

I'm a little leery of Unit 10, from what I've heard the quality has dropped off significantly the past few years have you heard anything encouraging recently?

Unit 2 is really interesting.  If I applied in Unit 2, I would probably get the tag (my point level drew out this year).  What's your thoughts on Unit 2?  Some people say Unit 2 and 201 are pretty equivalent. Some guys actually prefer it. 

I actually drew the Unit 201 archery non-resident tag in 2010, then due to conflicts had to turn it back in...(ouch again..lol)!  That set me back a point, and I'm sure you know how hard it is to catch back up.  I've already done the homework on 201, but I love doing the research on new units, so that part would be fun.

I'd probably give up a bit on trophy quality to hunt a strong rut, it's just that much fun.  I would like to hunt a unit with a strong chance at a 320+ bull and a reasonable crack at a 340+ bull.  I've taken three really nice bulls, so I'm willing to pass up a lot.

exbiologist's picture
it's not broken down between 61 and 62

61 and 62 are part of the same DAU and the DOW cannot break it down beyond that level.  However, they kill about 35% of the bulls that are killed in 61.  So, assuming they have the same elk density, and they should, you'd think that the 26 bulls:100 cow ratio would be a bit lower in 62 and higher in 61.  Split the difference both ways and it's probably about 17 in 62 and 42 in 61.

Umpqua Hunter's picture
That sounds about right....

exbiologist wrote:

61 and 62 are part of the same DAU and the DOW cannot break it down beyond that level.  However, they kill about 35% of the bulls that are killed in 61.  So, assuming they have the same elk density, and they should, you'd think that the 26 bulls:100 cow ratio would be a bit lower in 62 and higher in 61.  Split the difference both ways and it's probably about 17 in 62 and 42 in 61.

I think you've got a good estimate there.  Unit 61 has been growing on me.  It will be the first rut elk hunt my wife has been a part of.  I'd like for her to experience multiple bull encounters, and let her try calling too.  I'll need  her to be proficient to be my drop back caller in AZ and UT...lol  Good thing about CO is I can throw my hat into the WY hat before the CO apps are due.  Jim

exbiologist's picture
regarding 10...

assuming the stats are right, I see it is as the superior unit in terms of lowest % of available bulls killed.

See, wade's dad's bull from this year (hunter25)

Umpqua Hunter's picture
Nice bull...

exbiologist wrote:

assuming the stats are right, I see it is as the superior unit in terms of lowest % of available bulls killed.

See, wade's dad's bull from this year (hunter25)

Right on...that's a nice bull.  Thanks.  I'll put that one in my notes.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It sounds like you are in

It sounds like you are in position for a good draw, regardless!  Maybe you can hunt 61 next year, and push one of those trophy bulls across the road to me in Unit 62 as well. Wink

Umpqua Hunter's picture
I'll sure try....

Ca_Vermonster wrote:

It sounds like you are in position for a good draw, regardless!  Maybe you can hunt 61 next year, and push one of those trophy bulls across the road to me in Unit 62 as well. Wink

Ca Vermonster:  Thanks...I'd sure try to send one your way Big smile  

For elk, I've got 20 points in Colorado, max in WY, max in Utah and 12 in AZ.  Finally a lot of years of applying is paying off.  I'm trying to be strategic in the years I draw those tags, to end up with one tag a year.  A lot of fun yet to come!!   Dancing

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Wow, that'll make for

Wow, that'll make for possibly 4 straight years of good elk hunting!!!  You definately set yourself up for a good run there! 

Enjoy!!!

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
You're smart to try and

You're smart to try and spread those tags out over a couple years. My fall has been crazy and it puts a ton of pressure on you... way more than if you could just focus on one really good tag. As far as big time tags, all I've got left to fill is deer so we'll see how it goes.

Every single hunt you have mentioned would be a blast. And I wouldn't be all that worried about the timing of the muzzy season. I had heard bulls bugling in three parts of the state before September 9th this year!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado Point Creepexbiologist3006/24/2012 14:12 pm
Colorado leftover license listsexbiologist607/09/2011 11:26 am
Archery elk CO#24shawn0915202/26/2010 08:27 am
Unit 47 coloradoJeremyzx900r101/22/2013 08:32 am
Unit 66 or unit 67 muzzleloaderhunterkurt001/05/2011 08:55 am