6 replies [Last post]
CO unit 411, 52, 521 deer questions

Just had a couple questions for anyone who has hunted these units.  Can a guy expect to get a decent 4-point on the muzzy hunt?  Also, are all 3 units pretty much equal in terms of deer numbers or do you think a guy is better off concentrating on a certain one? Took a trip to 52 in early July to check out some of the country- only saw one small buck, a few does, and a small bull. Noticed there was only a few places where the country was over 10k feet- tried to concentrate on those areas.  Included a couple pics of some of the country.  Thanks for any info.

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG3.68 MB
IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG3.86 MB
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG3.42 MB
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
backpacker, I do not know

backpacker,

I do not know these units at all, but I know 41 very well. I know that there are some bucks up high, but do not overlook the lower country for big bucks. It is also a good idea when looking for a bigger deer to look for little out of the way places in low areas that border private property (such as alfalfa fields and orchards). There is a lot of that country around Cedaredge and other little places just like that.

Good luck and good hunting!

Thanks.  I did find a couple

Thanks.  I did find a couple spots down lower near private land and even saw a few deer. I just figured that a lot of those smaller spots might get hammered by other hunters since they're a little easier to get to.  Not sure if I'm even going to get to go this yr now though- considering getting surgery on the back.

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
backpacker, You would be very

backpacker,

You would be very surprised on how many of those little spots are overlooked and driven right past by hunters.

I hope everything goes well either way it turns out (hunting or surgery). Thumbs up

SOBLE's picture
Backpacker, I hunted those

Backpacker, I hunted those areas for 6 years while I was living in Paonia. All of them hold some good bucks but which area is good for you depends on what kind of hunting you want to do. Cedaredge, which is in 411 I believe, does have some nice little pockets of animals that feed on the local fields. 411 also includes a nice chunk of the Grand Mesa, recreational headquarters for Western Colorado. 52 is about the same as you found out but I never really enjoyed hunting that area. A lot of the locals "road hunt" in 52. If I was going to pick one of these areas it would be 521 just inside Gunnison County off of Highway 133, just below the Paonia resivoir dam. Head over to Anthracite and Dark canyon in the Ragged Mountains. Most hunters in this area are packing in deep or going in on horse back. Anthracite was always good to me for Elk and Deer. Going in on foot for a day is a reasonably easy hike or you can spike camp and head up high

ELK

SOBLE, thanks for the info.

SOBLE, thanks for the info. Sleeping on the mountain is no problem so that area sounds promising.  Either way, I'll let you guys know if I end up hunting this yr or turning the tag in.  Thanks.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like