2 replies [Last post]
COMeatHunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
CO Unit 201: Looking for advice for a youth cow hunt

My son drew a 2nd rifle unit 201 cow tag this year and is very excited--this will be his first year elk hunting, just turned 12.  We have hunted units 4 & 5 the last couple of years but have never ventured as far as unit 201.  We will take a couple of trips this summer to the area for scouting, but would like to ask for some advice on where to start.  Based on the NDIS MapIt! online tool, looks like the south side of Cold Spring Mountain (pretty big area) and Diamond and Middle Mountains hold most of the resident elk.  Anyone have some experience in this unit they'd be willing to share with us?

Thanks in advance!

exbiologist's picture
I'll be headed out for 4th season

Some other folks have given me some intel on the unit, one who hunted a bull there two years ago, another had a late season hunt.  The late season guy said he couldn't even get back towards Middle and Diamond Mountain last year, but had seen elk there earlier during scouting trips.  The Refuge is more winter range, and you can camp there.  From that guy, it sounded like you're going to want to hunt those northern two mountain if you were hunting second season.

Another guy, who bull hunted, said the larger concentrations were near Limestone Gap and the headwaters of Beaver Creek (Middle Mountain).  

With our hunt being 4th season, I'm not sure how to play things at this time.  It'll be totally new to me.

Other major issues:  you're a long way from fuel and there won't be much water, other than stock tanks, so you'll want to keep your eye out for those.

COMeatHunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Thanks for the suggestions...

Thanks for the suggestions.  We'll check those areas out this summer.  We can also post how the hunt goes for us after 2nd season to give you a heads up for 4th rifle (for whatever it's worth).

We are planning to pack extra fuel and water in the truck too--I'm hoping we won't be needing to filter out of a stock tank, but that's certainly better than going thirsty or driving 3 hours round trip to refill!  

Later.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Youth hunt unit 24 deercorkinit008/28/2014 13:44 pm
Colorado Elk huntingdougbaldwin702/17/2009 01:15 am
Colorado Elk Hunt Unit 4tommore608/15/2003 09:15 am
Co elk unit rlurben1403/22/2012 13:25 pm
Unit 47 coloradoJeremyzx900r101/22/2013 08:32 am