5 replies [Last post]
WishIWasHunting's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
CO Archery Antelope 2012

I made it out for a day for Archery Antelope season yesterday.  I only saw a fraction of the amount of antelope that I saw in the same area last year.  I think the drought really has the spread out looking for better food and water.  I only found 2 bucks.  One was on property that I do not have permission to hunt.  The other buck was surrounded by does and fawns, so I did not even attempt a stalk.  

Hopefully next time I make it out, I can find a few more antelope, and hopefully in a better situation to be successful.  

PreviewAttachmentSize
P9020004.jpg
P9020004.jpg3.14 MB
elkkill06's picture
Bad day of huntin'

Better than a good day at work ! lol Thanks for sharing the great pics and good luck on the rest of your season.

Quinton

So true ElkKill!I made it

So true Quinton!

I made it out again on Sunday.  Had a little better luck than last time, but nothing too exciting.  I am spot and stalk hunting using decoys and calls.  Between the decoys and calls, I can get within 100 yards fairly consistently even without much help from terrain or cover, but I can't seem to close the distance to ethical archery range.  Hopefully, eventually, I can find an antelope stupid enough for it to work out like I have read about from "the experts".  

I saw this nice looking buck laying out in some CRP on property that I did not have permission to hunt, so I took the opportunity to take a picture to share.  

PreviewAttachmentSize
Antelope 09_09_2012.JPG
Antelope 09_09_2012.JPG442.12 KB
hunter25's picture
Good luck and I hope you can

Good luck and I hope you can close that distance. 

I'm determined to get back into archery next year at least a little. I had problems with my elbow last year and gave it up but my son has been pushing me so I'm going after it again.

Probably just a doe or something in Texas after I get my buck with a rifle, at least for now. I'm not that dedicated at this point to go 100%.lol

This past weekend was my last

This past weekend was my last opportunity for my antelope tag, and I was unable to close the distance.  I had one really good stalk where I got to ~60 yards, but a gust of wind pushed my decoy into me.  The resulting noise drew the antelope's attention.  After that, I couldn't get any closer.  Even though I did not get to draw back on an antelope, I came close enough that I will keep trying in the future.  I tried a couple different small variations with the decoy to try and conceal my approach, and I feel like I learned quite a bit.  

As for getting back into archery Hunter, I would encourage it so long as your elbow will allow it.  I have really enjoyed getting back into it over the last two years, and I feel like I am a better hunter for it.  I mostly just consider my archery hunts as additional opportunities to hunt while I build preference points for my preferred rifle hunts.  Maybe once I get my first archery kill I will consider myself primarily an archery hunter, but for now, it is mostly a way to get out in the field more often.  

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Wow, I can't even imagine

Wow, I can't even imagine trying to sneak up on a group like you had in your first photo.  Talk about having a good sense of security..... lol

Sorry you were not able to close the deal.  Still looks like you had fun, and as Quinton said, it's better than hunting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
antelope during archerycrowsfoot109/16/2010 08:09 am
Montana Archery Antelope Huntnogamelikebiggame003/03/2010 10:17 am
CAUTIONHammer1509/16/2006 16:43 pm
archery antelpoesqrlyhntr831109/21/2009 19:58 pm
ok lets start a 2012 antelope page let see em....brokenarrow1904/03/2013 18:35 pm