5 replies [Last post]
WishIWasHunting's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
CO Archery Antelope 2012

I made it out for a day for Archery Antelope season yesterday.  I only saw a fraction of the amount of antelope that I saw in the same area last year.  I think the drought really has the spread out looking for better food and water.  I only found 2 bucks.  One was on property that I do not have permission to hunt.  The other buck was surrounded by does and fawns, so I did not even attempt a stalk.  

Hopefully next time I make it out, I can find a few more antelope, and hopefully in a better situation to be successful.  

PreviewAttachmentSize
P9020004.jpg
P9020004.jpg3.14 MB
elkkill06's picture
Bad day of huntin'

Better than a good day at work ! lol Thanks for sharing the great pics and good luck on the rest of your season.

Quinton

So true ElkKill!I made it

So true Quinton!

I made it out again on Sunday.  Had a little better luck than last time, but nothing too exciting.  I am spot and stalk hunting using decoys and calls.  Between the decoys and calls, I can get within 100 yards fairly consistently even without much help from terrain or cover, but I can't seem to close the distance to ethical archery range.  Hopefully, eventually, I can find an antelope stupid enough for it to work out like I have read about from "the experts".  

I saw this nice looking buck laying out in some CRP on property that I did not have permission to hunt, so I took the opportunity to take a picture to share.  

PreviewAttachmentSize
Antelope 09_09_2012.JPG
Antelope 09_09_2012.JPG442.12 KB
hunter25's picture
Good luck and I hope you can

Good luck and I hope you can close that distance. 

I'm determined to get back into archery next year at least a little. I had problems with my elbow last year and gave it up but my son has been pushing me so I'm going after it again.

Probably just a doe or something in Texas after I get my buck with a rifle, at least for now. I'm not that dedicated at this point to go 100%.lol

This past weekend was my last

This past weekend was my last opportunity for my antelope tag, and I was unable to close the distance.  I had one really good stalk where I got to ~60 yards, but a gust of wind pushed my decoy into me.  The resulting noise drew the antelope's attention.  After that, I couldn't get any closer.  Even though I did not get to draw back on an antelope, I came close enough that I will keep trying in the future.  I tried a couple different small variations with the decoy to try and conceal my approach, and I feel like I learned quite a bit.  

As for getting back into archery Hunter, I would encourage it so long as your elbow will allow it.  I have really enjoyed getting back into it over the last two years, and I feel like I am a better hunter for it.  I mostly just consider my archery hunts as additional opportunities to hunt while I build preference points for my preferred rifle hunts.  Maybe once I get my first archery kill I will consider myself primarily an archery hunter, but for now, it is mostly a way to get out in the field more often.  

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Wow, I can't even imagine

Wow, I can't even imagine trying to sneak up on a group like you had in your first photo.  Talk about having a good sense of security..... lol

Sorry you were not able to close the deal.  Still looks like you had fun, and as Quinton said, it's better than hunting.