10 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: Idaho
Joined: 02/28/2006
Posts: 162
The Chucks are up!!

I know the rest of the country is freezing completely to death but it was 55 degrees here in South Central Idaho today and I shot my first batch of rockchucks today. Wahooo!! I really love this time of year. Anybody else getting after them?
Hank

Offline
Location: Maryland
Joined: 10/11/2006
Posts: 151
Re: The Chucks are up!!
h_talbot wrote:
I know the rest of the country is freezing completely to death but it was 55 degrees here in South Central Idaho today and I shot my first batch of rockchucks today. Wahooo!! I really love this time of year. Anybody else getting after them?
Hank

What is a rockchuck? Brick Wall,)

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 12/03/2005
Posts: 1691
The Chucks are up!!

Groundhogs I believe, aka: Pasture Puppies Big smile Big smile Big smile

ADKBEAR's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Central NY
Joined: 09/16/2003
Posts: 823
The Chucks are up!!

Not too many chucks digging up through 10ft of snow around here.
More in the ice fishing mode

Offline
Location: Idaho
Joined: 02/28/2006
Posts: 162
The Chucks are up!!

Rockchucks are what we call them in Idaho. People also call them woodchucks but they are properly known and the yellow bellied marmot. They're hard to get because they don't let you get very close. It's usually 200 yard plus shooting. It's a lot like hunting prarie dogs except you're in the mountains in cliffs and canyons and they're twice as big as a prarie dog. There's tons of them around here so that's what occupies my springs.
Hank

PreviewAttachmentSize
20030617Marmot01Tn[1].jpg
20030617Marmot01Tn[1].jpg1.06 KB
Offline
Location: Maryland
Joined: 10/11/2006
Posts: 151
The Chucks are up!!

I want to hunt a chuck!

Offline
Location: Maryland
Joined: 10/11/2006
Posts: 151
The Chucks are up!!
h_talbot wrote:
Rockchucks are what we call them in Idaho. People also call them woodchucks but they are properly known and the yellow bellied marmot. They're hard to get because they don't let you get very close. It's usually 200 yard plus shooting. It's a lot like hunting prarie dogs except you're in the mountains in cliffs and canyons and they're twice as big as a prarie dog. There's tons of them around here so that's what occupies my springs.
Hank

Are they good eatin?

Offline
Location: Pennsylvania
Joined: 10/28/2003
Posts: 1647
The Chucks are up!!
e4c4ever wrote:
h_talbot wrote:
Rockchucks are what we call them in Idaho. People also call them woodchucks but they are properly known and the yellow bellied marmot. They're hard to get because they don't let you get very close. It's usually 200 yard plus shooting. It's a lot like hunting prarie dogs except you're in the mountains in cliffs and canyons and they're twice as big as a prarie dog. There's tons of them around here so that's what occupies my springs.
Hank

Are they good eatin?

I have never tried them but I have heard they are one of the best tasting wild animals. All they eat is grass. It's kind of like eating concentraited vegatables lol

Offline
Location: Idaho
Joined: 02/28/2006
Posts: 162
The Chucks are up!!

I've eaten a couple and they're not really good. They're grissly and fatty. Also they have very dark meat, if you can find any on their fat bodies. They're more of a rodent like a prarie dog so you worry about disease too. Plus they smell really bad. Honestly, they're just fun to shoot and the ranchers and farmers around here have a lot of problems with them. The coyotes and birds of prey get fat on them though.
Hank

Offline
Location: Pennsylvania
Joined: 10/28/2003
Posts: 1647
The Chucks are up!!

What are they (the groundhogs) eating in Idaho?

Offline
Location: Idaho
Joined: 02/28/2006
Posts: 162
The Chucks are up!!

They only eat grass here too, but these things spend over 70 percent of the year hibernating so they put on tons of fat and very little meat so they can survive the long winter with very litte intake. A rabbit will eat year round and is built for powerful spurts of speed so they have a lot of muscle and very little fat, therefore they are better eating. But rockchucks are slow and fairly lazy, especially the big ones, and don't develop a lot of muscle. Just fat and fur. Anyways if you can get past the smell to butcher one and eat it go for it.Sick I'm sure it won't hurt you, They just aren't built to eat.
Hank

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Rock ChucksDeer Hunter1303/31/2008 18:55 pm
22 Hornetwishfish107/10/2007 22:52 pm