2 replies [Last post]
Chronic wasting disease found in Big Horn basin deer Wyoming's deer hunt area 165

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chronic wasting disease found in Big Horn basin deer Wyoming's deer hunt area 165

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2011/11/chronic-wasting-disease-found-in-big.html

TSS

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Another sobering report from

Another sobering report from flounder. Hopefully some day we will be able to put this one behind us. Doesn't look like it will be anytime soon though.

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Have the containment efforts worked? I sure hope so.

Thanks for keeping us up to date even if the report is bad news Flounder.  I  haven’t heard anything new about chronic wasting disease for some time.  I was hoping that it was behind us or at the very least o longer spreading to new areas.  New York State has put a ban on baiting and even feeding deer any time of year since chronic wasting disease threatened the deer nationwide.  The theory here was that by banning deer feeding, the deer would avoid close proximity nose to nose contact between deer eating the piles of food, and thus prevent  the spread of the disease between them.  I have not seen any reports of chronic wasting disease inside of New York or the contiguous bordering states or provinces (except possibly on an enclosed deer farm).  But the theory of stopping the spread by banning feeding is not a sure thing.  I’m sure the disease spreads where deer are not fed else it would no longer exist.  The linked article says that teh infected deer in the "new area" was adjacent to an area where the disease is epidemic.

Am I the only one who was thinking that Chronic Wasting Disease was on the decline nationwide?  Have the containment efforts worked in general? I sure hope so.