21 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

This is pretty old but, CVC what did you get? I don't come on the hand gun threds much because I just don't feel I know enought about them. But I do have an opinion on this. I spent most of my life as a OTR driver and a good bit driving out of Colorado to meat markets around the country. Hunts Point, little west 12th st, Harlem, Vernon, Plaski ect. The dregs of society hung in these places and cop's were a fairly uncommon site. a NYC cop once told me "if you have to shoot someone, don't call us. You do and there's to much paperwork and we'll find them anyway".

Here's what I found out about carry weapons. Get the smallest flatest weapon you can BUT in a cartridge that will do the needed job if called upon. I carried a Colt Diamondback in 38 spec and hand loaded it with 125gr JHP bullet's just as fast as I could load them without sticking the cylinder. I carried it in a high rise belt holster with a thunb break and always wore a fairly long bulky sweater to hide it; I hate sweater's! Today I use a Ruger auto in 9mm but seldom carry. I don't go to bad places anymore.

Don't sacrifice cal for concealment. You have a permit, don't worry about a bit of a bulge, worry about putting a bullet in the air that will end the confrontation. The 32 ain't it.

I have two 32's. A S&W kit gun in 32 Long and a 1917 Savage in 32 Auto. I wouldn't trust either to stop an assailent in a situtation were the drawing of a gun was warrented. Let's face it, if you need to do that, do so with enought gun, at that point concealment no longer matters. I have a brother that carried a 40 S&W in some kind of flat lightweight gun. Really nice except he couldn't shoot it. You pull one out you better be ready to shoot, capabile of shooting and have enought gun to do the job.

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
CCW .32 vs .380

Don,

I went with the Kel Tec .380. I like it because it is pretty accurate and fits in my front pocket very nice. I carry it alot, but my wife hasn't figured out I have when we're together.

If you read my post on anything goes you'll see I have a nice M&P 40 .40 caliber at home and really am glad I had it last night as I thought we had home intruders. Turned out to be a false alarm, but I like the .40 caliber loaded with 15 bullets.

Don Fischer's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

That 40 is supposed to be a good cartridge. I think my brother's was just to light and to small. I had a 41 mag years ago but couldn't handle the recoil. As a result I didn't shoot it worth a darn. I loved my Diamondback. Also had a 4" Trooper in 357 that I shot heavy 38 spec's with 125gr bullet's. Really liked it but it just was a bit to hard the cover where I wasn't supposed to have it. Wearing my Diamondback in the highrise pancake holseter I was in a small store in NYC when the owner set off the alarm by accident and as I was walking out, two cop's shoved me back inside. That was a close one!

NYC

Don,

You wouldn't want to get caught in NYC with a handgun. I believe that's cause for jail time. I lived in New York State for years and my handgun permit was valid for carry (concealed or otherwise) everywhere in the state except NYC. But you probably already knew that. Wink

CVC:

Kel-Tec also made a .40 S&W out of the same frame as the P-11 9MM. Same size but a little lower max capacity. Very light (maybe too light) and small. More difficult to shoot well. They discontinued making them because of complaints of jamming. To get it to function reliably you need to really grip them. Limp wristing a Kel-Tec P-11 or P-40 will cause cycling problems due to their light weight and small size. You really need to practice with them. But....if you really want the fire power in an small size, that's what you end up with. Same frame size is also available in .357 Sig.

Don Fischer's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

Yes sir I know that. Lived on Long Island for about 15yrs as a kid. But when I went to NYC driving, I went into the market's that open early and not a lot of cop's around. Would you go into the Bronx, west 12th st or Harlem at 2:30am without a gun? How's it go; I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

NYC

I know what you mean and I agree. Frankly, I avoid NYC whenever I can. I lived in NY State, in various upstate areas, for close to 25 years. I never visited NYC except to pass through the airports until last month. I was in beautiful downtown Newark NJ for business and went to Times Square to kill some time. It's pretty cleaned up and was interesting but i don't need to go back anytime soon. I'll take the North Country any day.

Don Fischer's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

When people think of New York the first image that comes to mind is NYC. The truth is that I think upstate NY is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

ADKBEAR's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

This is great stuff to hear. Once I get past PA I tell people I am from Canada it is easier. Last year I was on a job site out in WA state and was talking about a buddy that lives down the road and myself growing a steer every year and cutting it up in the fall. One gruff operator from Utah said "now just where the hel% do you keep a steer in New York" So I answer "well in the alley behind the skyscraper of course!!!!"
I do love NY, but only been to the city once in 42 years

CCW .32 vs .380

Most of my clan is from Waldon New York near the mountains. Very pretty country.

NY

I grew up in southwestern NY in Allegany and then lived in central NY in Rome, also lived in Lowville, Potsdam, Rochester, North Tonawanda and Buffalo. Pretty good hunting in most areas. I love the Adirondack's, especially the high peaks area.