21 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
CCW .32 vs .380

I currently have a Berretta .380 that I carry, but find it difficult to carry due to its size and the clothes I wear.

So, I was considering getting a Kel Tec .380 that I can slip into my pocket, but I saw a Beretta .32 with laser grips that I really liked. Little bigger than the Kel Tec, but the quality is great and the size still permits pocket carry.

I was concerned that the .32 was too small of a caliber, but did some searching and found that some believe it superior to the .380. So, I thought I'd put this out for your opinions.

ADKBEAR's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

To be honest I do not know much about the .32? To me the statement that it makes a better personel defence round than the .380 dosent make a lot of sence unless the bullet selection is far superior for the .32? Usually bigger is better and most articals that I have read state that the .380 is the smallest round that most "experts" recomend carrying for PD. Now it (the .380)is the smallest that I carry for defence but my wife on the other hand carries a .22 because she is comfortable with it and shoots it well.

I say if you like the .32 get the .32 and learn how to shoot it well. No sence getting a gun unless you like it!! Then hope to God you never HAVE to use it.

CVC
CVC's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

True, it is counterintuitive that a smaller caliber would be better which is why I didn't accept it as Gospel. Everyone has an "expert" opinion and they love to share it so I am leary of things posted on the internet.

However, there are those on here whose opinion I do trust so I thought I'd bounce it around a little before making a decision.

I want a pocket gun and was leaning toward the Kel Tec .380 and may still go that route mostly because of the cost factor. But the Beretta is a sweet little gun and the laser grips are a nice feature.

CCW .32 vs .380

North American Arms ( http://www.naaminis.com/index02.html ) makes very small pistols in both .32 and .380 that are pretty good quality (better, I think, than Kel-Tec). You might also consider the Kahr PM9 ( http://tinyurl.com/yv4l9g ). It is a very small 9mm.

As for .32 vs .380, I don't think there's much practical difference. Neither is powerful enough to be assured of a one-shot knock-down, but both are much better than a stern "stop or I will shout 'stop' again!" I would probably give a slight edge to the .380 simply because it uses bigger, fatter bullets launched faster. For either one you want to get good quality ammo that feeds reliably through whatever firearm you use.

Good luck!

ADKBEAR's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

CVC
Just bumped up the "what do you carry" thread. Some good discussion on carry guns and Mr. Fischer makes a good point on the laser sights. They (the L. Sights) do seem to be getting more popular but to be honest when it comes to gizmos I tend to "try" to stay away, one more thing to go wrong or break???

Don "stop or I will shout stop again" that's good, funny stuff. Good points made also.

CCW .32 vs .380

I'm not certain, but I think I owe the Monty Python guys credit for that one.

.32 vs .380

I don't know much about the .32 other than "bad, bad Leroy Brown had a .32 gun in his pocket for fun". I have a Kel-Tec P11 9MM that shoots fine. Around 13 oz and pretty small. They have the new PF-9 9MM out now that's even thinner. It's a single stack rather than the P11 double stack magazine. Neither is in the size class of their P3AT (.380 ACP). If I carried concealed I would probably look at the P3AT. I might get one anyway. I didn't really answer your question but it might be another option.

CVC
CVC's picture
Re: .32 vs .380
NH Hunter wrote:
I don't know much about the .32 other than "bad, bad Leroy Brown had a .32 gun in his pocket for fun". I have a Kel-Tec P11 9MM that shoots fine. Around 13 oz and pretty small. They have the new PF-9 9MM out now that's even thinner. It's a single stack rather than the P11 double stack magazine. Neither is in the size class of their P3AT (.380 ACP). If I carried concealed I would probably look at the P3AT. I might get one anyway. I didn't really answer your question but it might be another option.

I ordered the P3AT and should get it tomorrow.

CCW .32 vs .380

The 380 is better. That being said I have two Kel-tec 32's (this was prior to the 380s coming out). Great pocket guns so light you forget about em. I carry one as a bug gun while on duty and one for the wife. THe only issue I have had with them has been that the mag springs go bad after a few years and cause jams. Send em back and kel-tec will replace them. Serveral officers on my PD have the 380's and love em. Best of luck and have fun!

Kel-Tec

Kel-Tec has excellent customer service. If your new to Kel-Tecs I might suggest signing up on KTOG, Kel-Tec Owners Group board. A lot of good information and a great bunch of guys. Very helpful to the newbie. You can search the forum and find answers to most questions you might have. Thumbs up

http://www.ktog.org/

CVC
CVC's picture
CCW .32 vs .380

NH Hunter

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.