15 replies [Last post]
HOGGETTER's picture
Cal. turkey 3-27-2010

Just checked my camera and had these two on it, A jake and a 9" tom. Check back for the Archery harvest pics. next weekend?

brokenarrow's picture
Re: Cal. turkey 3-27-2010

do you have to apply for a turkey tag in cal or are they over the counter, here in nevada we have to apply and its impossible to get a tag. banghead

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

That's the biggest draw back to hunting anyway in the west. You have to draw a permit to hunt. Here, you buy a license and go hunting whether you have access to private land or you want to hunt public land. I know you can get otc tags in some units but it's just wierd to have to buy a license to apply for a point, in which you "may" be able to hunt sometime in the future. And, yes I'll apply to for pts in diff states to be able to hunt sometime in the foreseeable future. I have no choice but to get in the game. What's a hunter to do?

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

By the way, gobble, gobble, gobble. It won't be long now. April 10 is just around the corner. The 3rd we can take the youth out for a try. Good luck all you turkey hunters.

HOGGETTER's picture

Here in CAL no tag required, just buy a regular hunting lic. and go hunting. I went out this morning to scout for the roosting area ( for next weekends opener ) and forgot my coyote howl call to locate the birds so i just cupped my hands and gobbled, bingo! they gobbled back and that caused more farther down the creek bottom gobble, so i back off and waited to watched a dozen birds fly down. Thumbs up

brokenarrow's picture

im gonna have to get a cal licence and go check around the vineyerds around aubern and lincon i think theres turks around there. :\:D/

HOGGETTER's picture

Well I guess i'm on my own tomarrow for the opener, everybody wussed-out on my. Probably better off this way ( less movement for a archery hunt )

brokenarrow's picture

good luck to you! Thumbs up im gettin my cal licence and hitin the auburn area next weekend to see if i can find any turks.

HOGGETTER's picture

Ah sweet success Thumbs up
Well here's how it all came together. I got up at 4AM loaded my truck and had to fend off my four hunting dogs that kept trying to go with me, I hit the road now running a little late. So I arrived at my spot with twenty minutes till daybreak, so I grabed my bow, box call and decoy bag, then ran across the mountain, set up the decoys with a jake trying to mount a hen and two other hens on either side. Stepped off twenty yards and put my half blind up under an oak tree, knocked an arrow, grabed the box call, struck it a couple of times then herd some hens call back so I struck it again harder and got a gobble responce (prefect). I put the call down and waited five minutes and here comes ten birds (8-hens and 1-jake and 1-Tom) I picked up my bow and very slowly brought it to my chest awaiting it to be drawn. The turkey's were feeding straight toward the decoys a when the boss tom seen the jake decoy trying to mount the hen he ran straight to it strutted then circled it, putting his back to me so I pulled my bow back and cut one loose (wack) perfect shot ( in the pump house), he took ten steps and dropped! I set my bow down and was waiting for ten minutes to pass and a coyote comes running in on my decoys and scaring off all the birds, I grabbed my bow knocked an arrow but he caught my movment and ran off, so I lip squeeked him back in to fifty yards and took a walking shot at him, gut shot him and never found him. So I walked back to my truck and got my tripod and camera, Heres the pics.

HOGGETTER's picture

HOGGETTER's picture

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Kansas Deer and Turkey HuntsHC Outfitter004/07/2010 11:33 am
Osceola turkey timeCapt Billy001/11/2010 19:29 pm
2010 spring turkey huntstrophyhunter1009/06/2009 12:02 pm
Turkey article in the paper todayCa_Vermonster511/24/2010 14:56 pm
Turkey in ColoradoNewtoTheHunt504/19/2013 04:02 am