3 replies [Last post]
Bullet Selection for 308 Win

Hello guys,

I am a new hunter also and will be going on my first hunt in Feb of 05. I am gearing up for the task now and was wondering what kind of bullet I should use out of my 308 Win.

So far I've been talked into buying a box of 165gn Nosler Partitions, a box of 180gn Nosler Silver Tips and now my other buddy that is new to this also is saying the Hornady SST 150gn is the way to go.

What do you experience hog hunters suggest for a 308 Win?

I will be going after a small meat pig. 100lbs but will shoot up to a 200lbs pig.
Maxium range I want to take my shot at is 200yards
Should I carry a sidearm?

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the world of Hog/Pig hunting NewHunter. I believe you will find it to be some of the most exciting hunting you will ever do.

I use and have used a .308 win almost all of my 30 years of hunting and know that for hogs you'll be hard pressed to find another calibre-cartridge combo for this animal. The short action is great for close quarter hunting when a fast second shot might be the difference between going home with a nice pig or being toted outta the woods with pig bites to your legs. They can be dangerous when irritated and cornered or surprised.

I personally use the Federal Premium 165 gr ballistic silvertip. I have also used the Federal Premium 150 gr BTSP with out any animal loss. I currently use the latter now.
A word of warning...The Ballistic Silvertip will cause a huge amount of tissue loss but will without a doubt put the animal down immediately.

You will never have a 200 yard shot at a pig unless he is standing in a road, which I hope you wont shoot at him then, or if you are on a paid hunt sitting inside a shooting box overlooking a food plot. Most shots will be measured in feet instead of yards, that is if you want some excitement !!! Evil!

I dont carry a side arm, just a machetee to clear a trail into the swamp.

Good Luck and let us know how you do...and pics too

Now Jtapia, I'm going to disagree with you... on the yardage. You're hunting the south... big difference from hunting California... I know hunters who have taken 250-350 yard shots (w/ range finder) on pigs. Most of our pig country is rolling hills, and deep canyons.

I've walked along ridges that were 200+ yards from top to bottom, and 300 from one side to the other. Kept hunting for another mile and now I'm literally on my hands and knees crawling through nasty ugly heavy brush (damn glad to have a .44 - my rifle would've done no good at all). And won't you know, I've seen pigs in BOTH areas. The long range porker was about 250 yards, the other one I jumped about 7 feet from his bed. Of course, I shot and missed, BOTH pigs. No excuse for missing - it was my first pig hunt, 2nd big game hunt ever, and I wasn't practiced with taking fast standing shots, the one who jumped out of his bed scared the #### out of me - but ran the other way!!!

JESSE

Yep OZ, you are correct.
Sometimes I get suntan oil in my eyes 8) and forget that there are other states in this great nation....hence the name "United States. lots of those states are not covered by swamps as here.
I have killed a pig with an 180 yard (walked off yards)shot at the edge of a wiregrass swamp once. Hit him twice with a 165 gr. Ballistic Silvertip in .308 cal. within 2'' of eachother but those oppritunities are few and far between down here as usually you cant see 180 feet much less 180 yards.

I have also been startled by a Pig suddenly appearing underneath my feet. It'll let you know just how healthy your heart is and how fast it can beat thats for sure!!!! lol

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Sectional DensityCVC311/30/2010 12:38 pm
Bullet selectionwishfish308/26/2006 21:50 pm
Boar Hunting (Bullet selection)NewHunter201/07/2005 06:22 am
300 SAUM & bullet/ammo selection for elkBlatchley205/01/2010 19:50 pm
BULLET SELECTION ?BikerRN1009/16/2012 15:09 pm