18 replies [Last post]
Bullet Drop for 300 ????
Muley Crazy wrote:
Hey thanks alot guys Thumbs up

Those ballistic tables are fine....for getting a 'general idea' about what kind of performance might be rendered from a cartridge/rifle but in the finality.....it won't possibly be correct due to the fact of barrel harmonics! The barrel 'whips' just like a fishing rod and a bullet may be exiting the muzzle on an 'up node' or 'down node' of vibration so the only way to tell what a rifle/cartridge/load is doing is to zero from wherever and then shoot at the various ranges! lol

Bullet Drop for 300 ????

The ballistic tables and data print outs are fine and dandy and will get you pretty close BUT the best way to find your "dope" out is to go out and shoot it at distances you want in a controlled enviornemnt. A gun is like a finger print, no two are a like.

Don Fischer's picture
Re: Bullet Drop for 300 ????
Muley Crazy wrote:
I am shoting the new rounds from winchester (XP3 300 win mag 150 grain 3260 fps) and i can't find any info to figure the bullet drop for long range shoting. Mabye someone can help ?? I have my gun zeroed in at 300 so far I the only info I can find is
100 yds +3.4
200 yds +4.2
300 yds 0.0
400 yds ???? Think
500 yds ???? Think
600 yds ???? Think
Any info would help !! thanks

I suspect that you are going to do the laong range thing so here's something to think about. You have asked for info out to 600yds. Here's what your bullet selection costs you at 500yds:

150gr @ 3300 fps 190gr @ 2900 fps

remaining velocity/energy

1981/1307 2026/1732

This compares a 150gr Hornady spire point to a 190gr Hornady spire point.
you'll notice that at 500yds, the 190gr load that started out slower has now passed the 150gr load and the energy level of the 190gr load is walking away from the 150gr load.

Long range shooting requires attention to many details, including the choice of bullet to maintain velocity which in turn effects trajectory and remaining energy. The heavier bullet should also in theory be less effected by wind to reduce wind deflection. For that lesson, I would turn you back over to Chester Golf or RMulhern,,,,,,,,,,,,Rich or Rick?

Bullet Drop for 300 ????

Although it is not a Winchester chart, the Federal chart will take you out to 500 yards and for most purposes they would be to close to notice a difference.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx?act=choose&fir...

Simply check white boxes on left, for two choces scrool down and click compare
Bullet choice becomes paramount once you get out much past 300 yards.

Rich or Rick

Don Fischer

Rick....will do! lol lol

For you guys wanting to find out certain data out to wherever......ya need to go ahead a spend a few $$$$$ and call Sierra Bullets and order their Ballistics Program!!

Well worth the money!! lol

Bullet Drop for 300 ????

At one time Lee had a nice Ballistics program on disc that could be loaded into your computer. When I got a copy it was only about $15.00. They may still sell it. It comes already set up with the popular bullets and rounds. You just type in the info and away it goes. It also has a place to store load info for future reference. The ability to add the new bullets and their SD/BC and stores the specs on your firearms for reference.

Long range shoots

I am a long range shooter and an outfitters who sees many hunters every year bring guns to Colorado to hunt Elk and Mule Deer with the idea bigger is better.
I personally believe if your not confidant with your rifle in a real shooting or hunting situation don't push it past 250-300 yds.

I personally shoot a Ruger m77 300 win. mag. - 165gr. Hornady ballastic/Super shock tip, out of the box. I have recorded 40 + big game animals killed between 400-700 yds.
The key is practice and shot placement!!!!!

You need to know the anatomy of your prey and where the most effective shot placement is on that animal.

If your just wanting to shoot varmit or target practice a 22-250 is just as lethal and great out to 750 yrds with practice from a bench.

Either way you can go to Hornady website click on there bullet you want to use and they give you the ballistics.

Don Fischer's picture
Bullet Drop for 300 ????

Welcome aboard!

I think that saying you need to practice at long range is an oversimplication of the truth. I have been finding out that it's much easier to make a good hit at extended range by learning to better use what it is I know, or though I knew. Knowing the distence becomes vital at some point and knowing how to adjust for it. For example if your bullet drops 37" at some range, holding over that amount is not really shooting smart but rather walking the bullet in. If you know the range and have the equipment to adjust for it, it's a matter of making the correct adjustments and then using good shooting skill's to make the hit. At some point downrange, the skill of the shooter must rise to the occassion or your just plinking and hoping for the best. Once these thing's are understood, then practice practice practice.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Do we need preimun bullet's for deer?Don Fischer2502/26/2010 07:14 am
Bullet Research/ The perfect all around bulletAlphaMan1611/20/2007 19:02 pm
Best muzzleloader bullet for IL whitetail?ilsmokepoler410/06/2009 07:34 am
Bullet selectionwishfish308/26/2006 21:50 pm
Scirocco bulletsArcheryeditor509/05/2010 16:21 pm