37 replies [Last post]
hawkeye270's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Joined: 06/15/2008
Posts: 1862
If you are looking for an all

If you are looking for an all around bullet that you can take large animals like elk and moose while at the same time hunting smaller critters like deer and pronghorn, I would look to the accubond. That thing is a perfect all around bullet. The tip opens up quick but expansion is then stopped and it delivers great penetration. If you are looking to only hunt small critters like deer than I would look for something that opens up quicker. You will have more rapid, straight to the ground kills by using a rapid expansion bullet on thin skinned game. For this I like the ballistic silvertip and the ballistic tip. The ballistic silvertip put the smack down on my pronghorn this year. She never knew what hit her. Hornady's super shock tips (SST's) are a great option as well. Good luck in your search for the perfect bullet.

ecubackpacker's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: NC
Joined: 09/11/2009
Posts: 1639
Interbond

hawkeye270 wrote:

If you are looking for an all around bullet that you can take large animals like elk and moose while at the same time hunting smaller critters like deer and pronghorn, I would look to the accubond. That thing is a perfect all around bullet. The tip opens up quick but expansion is then stopped and it delivers great penetration. If you are looking to only hunt small critters like deer than I would look for something that opens up quicker. You will have more rapid, straight to the ground kills by using a rapid expansion bullet on thin skinned game. For this I like the ballistic silvertip and the ballistic tip. The ballistic silvertip put the smack down on my pronghorn this year. She never knew what hit her. Hornady's super shock tips (SST's) are a great option as well. Good luck in your search for the perfect bullet.

Good points, Hawkeye...the accubond is a good choice, not only for elk and moose, but deer size game alike. That bullet does an extensive amount of damage.  I load the 160 grain in my 7mmRUM and shoot coyotes and deer on a regular basis. Once I work up a load I like, I wouldn't load a different round for other animals. I'd stick with the accubond for all my hunting needs, just load more rounds and head to the range to practice.  Get proficient with the gun and load, don't worry about working up another load.

Hornady does offer the Interbond that is comparable to the Accubond. It is a bonded-core bullet also. The SST's are more in line with the ballistic tip bullets out there.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
As I mentioned earlier, i use

As I mentioned earlier, i use game king and like them, but one thing I like about some of the other bullets is the little plastic tip.  it keeps the point of the bullet from getting buggered up like the soft point on the game king does.  Probably doesn't affect performance and is more of a comestic issue, but I like the tips to look nice.

ecubackpacker's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: NC
Joined: 09/11/2009
Posts: 1639
Tips

CVC wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, i use game king and like them, but one thing I like about some of the other bullets is the little plastic tip.  it keeps the point of the bullet from getting buggered up like the soft point on the game king does.  Probably doesn't affect performance and is more of a comestic issue, but I like the tips to look nice.

CVC, we haven't seen where the marred tips perform any different than the brand new rounds when it come to the gamekings.

The accuracy should be good enough given the fact you are shooting deer size game and not 500 yards match targets.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Agreed

ecubackpacker wrote:

CVC wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, i use game king and like them, but one thing I like about some of the other bullets is the little plastic tip.  it keeps the point of the bullet from getting buggered up like the soft point on the game king does.  Probably doesn't affect performance and is more of a comestic issue, but I like the tips to look nice.

CVC, we haven't seen where the marred tips perform any different than the brand new rounds when it come to the gamekings.

The accuracy should be good enough given the fact you are shooting deer size game and not 500 yards match targets.

I agree that it does not affect the accuracy.  It is just a personal cosmetic issue - doesn't look at pretty with a ding in the tip, but that doesn't deter me from using them.  I like their performance and how they shoot out of my guns.  I've tried the plastic tip ones, but have always returned to the game kings.

ecubackpacker's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: NC
Joined: 09/11/2009
Posts: 1639
King of game

CVC wrote:

ecubackpacker wrote:

CVC wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, i use game king and like them, but one thing I like about some of the other bullets is the little plastic tip.  it keeps the point of the bullet from getting buggered up like the soft point on the game king does.  Probably doesn't affect performance and is more of a comestic issue, but I like the tips to look nice.

CVC, we haven't seen where the marred tips perform any different than the brand new rounds when it come to the gamekings.

The accuracy should be good enough given the fact you are shooting deer size game and not 500 yards match targets.

I agree that it does not affect the accuracy.  It is just a personal cosmetic issue - doesn't look at pretty with a ding in the tip, but that doesn't deter me from using them.  I like their performance and how they shoot out of my guns.  I've tried the plastic tip ones, but have always returned to the game kings.

That's right! If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Gamekings are some great performing bullets. I really like them in my 25WSSM. I get the best results on deer from them in that gun...I have loaded more accurate bullets in that gun but the gamekings perform the best on deer because I won't be shooting deer beyond 300 yards with that rifle...most shots with it will be less than 150 yards so I can live with 1" groups at 100 yards in that rifle.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Not trying to one up you,

Not trying to one up you, just wanted to share that I can get 1/2 MOA in my .270 all the way out to 300 yards with them.  I thought some of the bigger name bullets would perform better but they didn't and I cam back and will stick with the game kings.  Most of the game i've shot with them dropped right were they were shot.  Only the antelope didn't and they didn't go anywhere, just stood there and then flipped over instead of dropping right away.

ecubackpacker's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: NC
Joined: 09/11/2009
Posts: 1639
Well, you know I'm not going

Well, you know I'm not going to let you get 1 up on me without replying....Hahahaha

No, I was satisfied with MOA using the gamekings because I know I wouldn't be making many long shots with that rifle. I actually was able to shoot a hole in a hole in a hole with the berger bullets...I just didn't like how they performed...They didn't have a big entrance or exit wound...Not much blood on the ground because of it.

The gamekings open up the deer to leave a gracious bloodtrail...And the deer don't go far.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
LOL, alright, you got me.  So

LOL, alright, you got me.  So you didn't like the way the Berger performed on the animal.  I don't know much about the bullet except what I see on the informercial, er I mean hunting show, Best of the West.  It is an informercial, but I actually like the show. 

So, probably a good long distance target bullet, but not the best choice for game?

ecubackpacker's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: NC
Joined: 09/11/2009
Posts: 1639
Berger

CVC wrote:

LOL, alright, you got me.  So you didn't like the way the Berger performed on the animal.  I don't know much about the bullet except what I see on the informercial, er I mean hunting show, Best of the West.  It is an informercial, but I actually like the show. 

So, probably a good long distance target bullet, but not the best choice for game?

Here's the deal...the bullet performed just as it is designed to perform...the deer was quartering slightly away, I hit the deer between the 2nd and 3rd rib going in and the mushroomed bullet was lodged in the skin of the opposite shoulder...from where the deer was hit, he only ran 45 yards....not a drop of blood did we find...I couldn't find him on my initial search because he fell on a dead run into a greenbrier patch...thick, thick patch of briers...so it perform as it should have...just didn't leave a good blood trail...when you have thickets where you dissappear from sight 2 feet inside, you need a good blood trail to follow.

Best of the West, what can I say, good? It's too much of an infomercial for me to watch on a regular basis. I liked the videos when John Burns was the star...he seemed to be a down-to-earth guy...the new guys only want to sell you their system, the way I see it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Elk caliber and bullet question ?elkkill062108/04/2009 17:08 pm
Bullet PreferencesSNOWMAN0813609/05/2007 22:11 pm
Bullet of your choice10pointer1511/10/2005 17:46 pm
Goat bullet placementLazy TL809/27/2007 19:50 pm
my scope outdated?crowsfoot910/18/2010 12:37 pm