11 replies [Last post]
buffalo 2009

Provided I do not find an offered leftover buffalo hunt somewhere this season I'll be in the market for a late July early to mid August 2009 buff hunt.
Tanzania is borderline IMHO for buff hunting...sure alot of buff in some areas nice too but the price is getting out of hand.An i'm tired of waiting on last season's trophies to get shipped.
Zimbabwe is "iffy" at best and I for one am not willing to place several thousand USD down this far in advance, even if it's held here in the USA, tying up my hunting plans to see what happens with travel there,Mad Bob, etc.
Botswana, Moz., Zambia, Caprivi...they all hold promise but at a cost.
RSA..no fences for me thank you.
Think Think
So what eles is out there? Maybe the first trip to the land of Oz or Argentina are looming on the horizion

buffalo 2009

i would love to go to australia for water buffalo and a lot of visiting around for the sights. one of these days (sigh) Thumbs up

Buffalo Hunting in 2009

Single Malt,

Just to not break forum rules I say up front that I am a Hunting Outfitter and Professional Hunter and that, besides knowing Shakari as a person I have no ties to his business at all. I do not offer buffalo hunting as part of my normal business.

There are big differences in typical plains game hunting costs. There are also big differences in to total quality of the experience on a plains game hunt. Buffalo hunting seems [ I say seems as I do not claim to have all the experience in the world about this] to all cost pretty much the same. There are also big differences in the total experience when hunting a buffalo. If I were to ever have to hunt another buffalo I would personally try to get a hunt with one of the good Tanzanian outfitters. Shakari is but ne of them. There are more!

If I could not quite afford the cost - and hope to enjoy the vastly superior experience of hunting a buffalo in Tanzania, I would opt to book with one of the better Outfitters in Zimbabwe. Bill Bedfort is one, and I state that besides knowing Bill as a person I have no ties like earning commission from his business.

The only situation in which I would personally hunt buffalo in South Africa, at just about the same cost as in Tanzania and at higher cost than in Zimbabwe, would be if my time was extremely limited and/or I had a very fussy wife to consider taking along.

With these pretty elementary guidance I end my post with an invitation to ask about any aspect of hunting in South Africa. I have been doing it for 50 years now, of which about half was as a qualified Professional Hunter.

In good hunting.

Anderw McLaren

buffalo 2009

Hi Andrew - hope you're well and thanks for those kind words......

There's a few choices to consider, but let me first say that wherever you hunt, it's a sad fact that trophy export is only going to get slower, more complicated and more expensive as time goes on. Ever tighter rules by Governments worldwide are the cause of that. - The US F&WS, UK and European 'red tapers' being the biggest culprits. - Zim has got even slower now because every export needs approval from the Govt banking system as well.

Botswana is a good option but small quotas tend to make it expensive and it's beginning to look to me as though they may well ban hunting there in the next few years. This year, they pulled all the Lion permits, all the non exportable Elephant permits in the tribal areas and almost all of the Leopard permits.

Mozambique is a good option, but it's a bit of a super mega bugly stuff up because everything is so disorganised up there. If you do hunt Moz, I'd advise you only hunt with an operation that's been there for many years, and only on a coutada area. - The Buff there are spooky and will run for the border at the drop of a hat.......... and they don't usually stop till they get there.

Tanzania is expensive, but better to spend more for a good product than save on a poor quality one. Areas vary enormously and for example many of the areas 'charmingly described' as nestling against the Selous GR are really buffer zones, and most, but not all of them are not such good quality areas as the Selous GR for example. Incidentally, according to the Frankfurt Zoological Society, Tanzania has more buff than all the (other) Southern and East African countries put together............

Zambia is another option worth considering and has some great hunting. The only thing is that tend to have a habit of moving the goalposts at short notice, so be sure to get everything in writing etc. - Although, that comment could and should be applied anywhere in Africa.

Namibia is another good option, but as there are both fenced and unfenced areas up there, check exactly what you're getting before you book.

SA will be fenced, so if you want a true wilderness experience, you can forget it.

Hope that helps

buffalo 2009

Andrew;

I am trying to locate a PH in South Africas Limpopo Province that I hunted with in 2005. His name is Nico Powell, would you perhaps be able to get contact info for him? I am going back in July of this year and would like to link up with him to say hello.

Rob

buffalo 2009

Andrew and Shakari;
I've hunted both Zimbabwe and Tanzania for both PG And buff in the past. In TZ I did hunt the Selous block L4 and R? (4 If I remember correctly). I hunted with Don Bower whom has recently lost L4 I'm told.
I'm currently giving some thought to Zimbabwe with Gary Hopkins on his ranch for sable and buff elsewhere with him.
As for trophies I'm all for leaving them there as I no need for more or to support the shipping companies and taxidermists.

buffalo 2009

If you're looking for somewhere new, why not consider Masailand or the west of Tanzania? - There's some very good areas up there and if you went to Masailand for example, you could also take the northern species such as Grant's and Thompson's gazelles etc. - If you do that, I'd recommend you go to someone who knows Tanzania well. - Some areas are considerably better than others..................

buffalo 2009

thanks Shakari...I know one thing it won't be with Bower again. Hopkins was OK as he was hired to be the lead PH and run the show, there were other PHs in camp but Hopkins was the "head honcho".
Apparently Bower kept the TF$ never paying the TZ Gov't the newer rates and now can't export any trophies to their rightfull owners. I've been told he closed up shop on the hunting biz pocketing the TFs.
The booking agent here in the states that I used Jim McCarthy Adventures has shown no interest in helping get the trophies back either.

I'm going to watch the message boards for a WELL known safari company with a cancellation for buffalo...whom is offering a sweet deal ..or go on that sable/buff hunt with Hopkins. I'll let the trophies gather dust in some forgotten shed somewhere over there or get sold on Ebay with the cost/mess of shipping these days. SM

buffalo 2009

Yup, I guess you can only have so many trophies unless your lucky enough to have a very special trophy room........

You might get lucky with a cancellation, but generally speaking, those areas I was referring to, don't often get cancellations. - The good ones are expensive and usually pretty well booked a long time in advance. - The cheaper ones are just that.......

buffalo 2009

I have no complaints about L4 as I killed a great buffalo by today's standards..over 42" good boss with decent tips and passed on several decent heads of PG opting to kill only a nyasia wildebeast.
I have an entire digital card of my buff and wildebeast from which I made great 11x14 pictures and framed them...all the dust collectors I need any more.
Also saw lots of wild lions and took another card of them...all the lion trophy fee I need to pay these days.

buffalo 2009

Good day,

I too say up front that I am partner in a hunting company operating in SA and Mozambique, but I find your query interesting because I am also a big game zoologist by training and research diseases in Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer). I am American-born and was practically raised planning international hunts to Africa, and now that is where I live and work, so my perspective is one of understanding.

Do contact me if you require any advice on hunting buff. I'd be pleased to offer any help I am able.

All the best from Africa,

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
American BuffaloGuide 2508/08/2003 18:52 pm
2009 Trophy Whitetail Hunt//Buffalo County, WIhuntbuffalocounty404/14/2009 23:25 pm
Cape Buffalo Hunting with a 12 ga.AuProspector3403/27/2013 21:15 pm
Buffalo hunt wantedBillyGoat101310/06/2011 20:08 pm
buffalo plaquekevin davis905/17/2008 14:30 pm