31 replies [Last post]
bought 300 van.wby walmart (300 wby wont group what to get)

My 300 wby wont group worth nothing sad
I would like to have 1" and less groups at 100yrds what to get that
would be in comparison to the 300 ballistics that would be accurate?
Thanks for the help.

Have you considered the ammunition? What shoots well out of one gun may not do as well in another.
Another thought- A friend of mine was getting inconsistant groups at the range one day and couldn't figure out what was up with his new rifle. After watching him shoot a few groups I noticed that he was laying the barrel on his steady rest (sand bag). I had him scoot his stool a little closer and lay the stock on the rest and "bingo", the problem was solved.
Just a couple thoughts....................... Think

Don Fischer's picture

What do you call "won't group"? I've never worked with a weatherby but understand they've got some freebore in them. My experience is rifles generally shot best with the bullet clost to or just touching the lands. Weatherby doesn't make target rifles.

What do you need that much gun for?

What does he need that much gun for? Why do I need a Mustang with 400 horses for? Because I want it Brick Wall,) . As for the question your leaving WAY to much room for judgement. Please give some details and maybe we can help. Such as ammo, scope, rings, mounts, shooting position, front and rear rest, action screw torqued, cleaning proceedure ect ect.

OK this is the latest, been shooting and working out loads all day shoot 3 let it cool clean barrrel then shoot 1 to clean out cleaning residue then group 3,
well after many loads with imr 4831, IMR 4350, sierra bullets and hornady bullets,150gr and 180 gr boattails and sp.
had 2 5/8", 1 5/8" 3 7/8" 3 3/4 2 1/2" 1 3/4" 1 3/8" and so on groups at 100yrds
the sierra bullets was very impressive in that gun at a 5" and 6" group sad
so I pulled gun out of the stock (it is glass bedded all the way to action)
I put a real thin piece of tin under the end of barrel where tip is glued on
and the 1st 3 out of it gave a 11/16" group .
well that was the only time it did that group for that gun, then it was back to its old ways.
so long story short looks like 78GR of 4350 with the 150GR spbt hornady
will have to do untill I get ready to fight it somemore, it
seems to have tightend up somewhat.
maybe it wont shoot any better. I had it on serios sand bags and the wind
would barely move my flag (united states flag)
I shot appoxmintly 70 shots today temp was about 38 all day so the barrel would cool down fast between loading new loads
My 300 was made in Japan does that mean it wont shoot or what!! neener!
I used new brass old brass diffrerent seating dephts on bullets,
My 300 has free bore in it so max over all length of cartridge should not be more than 3.560" I have had this 300 since 1980 (could be shot out)
I had 2 serios sand bags for a rest and a bag of shot between me and gun
(could not even feel it kick I have 220 swift 222 and they group dime groups
I know its no target rifle but the groups I thought are too big and not consistant
I measured off the 100 yrds (at my house with bench, chair and stable)
I use the 300 for mainly Elk (long range at times I shot one 3 yrs ago 3/10 of a mile (520 yrds) set gps from where I shot and then to kill ) I hunt coyotes with it too.How can you have too much fun ,too much $, or too much gun I say Yes
I called wally mart they have 300 wby vangaurd dlx for 468$
I dont think the barrel life is very long with those big magnums!
awe yea I have 16" steel plate at 320 yrds it wont hit that every shot (I let it cool between shots) on the bench probably 2 out of 5 will hit
sorry for ramblin but you ask. I tell you the gun is spraying what can I do?
all screws mounts bases rings etc are tight. leopold 3x9 (I know its week)
redfield base and rings. Brick Wall,) http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/bsb1/Cimg0440.jpg

PreviewAttachmentSize
Cimg1282.jpg
Cimg1282.jpg398.36 KB

Now were talking. Barrel could possibly be shot out but I doubt it. I have a 300 wm sniper rifle that I have about 3000 rds thru and still getting MOA. If you have gotten good groups in the past I would first suspect something is loose. Take it to a smith and have him bore scope it to be sure, if it's cooked he'll know it. Check everything that has screws and tighten to proper torque and lock tight. If it's a synthetic stock the action screws should be about 60-65lbs, wood should be 45-50lbs (may want to play around with this a little). Base screws 35 lbs, ring screws 15-20 lbs. Check scope and make sure it's tracking well, may want to switch out for a range sesion to make sure. You say it's beded, this can go bad over time. Clean the living crap out of the barrel. I don't know what you use but JB-Bore cleaner is the best stuff on the market. The ammonia base stuff is OK but it takes for ever to clean. JB is harder than copper but softer than steel so it won't hurt your barrel a it. Check the crown of your rifle while this can hurt accuracy it shouldn't hurt it as much as you are saying. Go back to your favorite accuracy load and try it all again. I hope this helps and keep us informed.

Hello Coolmountainmorning:

First Reload about six or so handloads using exacly the same brandname cases(don't mix new & Used) same primers. Used powder trickler for tediously weighing the charge
Now everything is exactly the same>> Now slightly seat the bullet into the case a short distance and in a safe place fully chamber cartridge and remove.
Measure and reseat another 62 thousandths deeper.

I have done this with every cartridge I reloaded and in some rifles it can really tighten a group.
Let us know if this was any help with your grouping.

rem, thanks for input I have been using kleen bore no 10 copper cutter to clean bore.
I talked to brother last night he is thinking scope also, I will swap scopes maybe today! maybe not tho! with church till 2 then broncos has to woop steelers,
me and brother got identical 300's in 80 they never have grouped good he has spent a lot more time on his than me but I must say i have been getting serios about trying to tighten up the groups lately, there is 5- 300's (3 germans, 2 japs)in the family with 2- 30-378 wby the 2 japs shoot about the same
30-378's does 1" groups, and the old german 300's are consistant 1 1/2"-2" groups.
I could tolerate that but one minute it does 11/2" group and the next it will be
4" group same load barrel cooled and cleaned etc, thanks for the specs,
you can see pic of gun up in photo bucket link in my last post my boy is looking for yoty (it did not upload very good tho)
what will your 300 wm group at 100 yrds consistant ?
I think I may do the wally mart thing, make the boy a nice starter gun any way!
but i am not giving up on the jap yet!
I am making a wild guess that there has been approx 1000 shots thru it is all
at the most! I never was that concerned with the accuracy as i used to hunt elk in the timber but I have been changing my hunting style lately Brick Wall,)

hammer thanks for info I do use same brass when i was grouping (new brass
with some groups then old brass with other groups)
that seating thing may not work with the free bore
I dented in neck of a shot case then barely stuck a bullet in neck and closed
it in the gun and carfully removed it, it does not appear to go in neck at all.
(i marked the bullet before, then closed bolt , bullet was in case just eneogh to hold it)
I dont know how much of a jump start those bullets get before they hit the lands on the free bore guns.
I was carfull reloading each shell to the exact grains sometimes that ment adding like an extra granule or 2
thanks for help we will get this thing in the same hole before i am done lol
even if i must shoot at 3 yrds lol

If it's the scope send it back to luppy, they'll make it right. My 300 wm shoots consistant MOA with Factory 178gr Hornaday TAP (anything better is gravy, and bragging rights). I have to use factory ammo at work, no reloads allowed. Realize that this is a Rem Factory PSS with 26 inch heavy barrel blah blah blah. Pretty much all the bells and whistles. Also have a Remmy LTR 308 win that I really like a bunch. Nice light tinny package that doesent turn into a boat anchor on a stalk of unsupported shooting. I call her "stumpy". Thumbs up Lets us know how it turns out for you.

Don Fischer's picture

Well your persistent if nothing else. You got it in 1980 and it never shot well but your not giving up yet. Have you tried factory ammo in it? I think I'd shoot some factory stuff just to have something to use as a guide.

Could be the scope but I too doubt it's shot out. Even if it was, it shouldn't shoot that bad. Not so sure it's barrel fouling if you kept it clean all those years. You can spend time cleaning the copper out and the first round you fire will put it back. Just a though. That looked like a wood stock. Check the wood under the rear tang. Over a number of years, constent soaking with cleaning solvent's can soften the wood there and even properly tighten screw's won't hold the reciever tight. If it's sitting in mush, it's gonna move around. Maybe pillar bedding?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like