12 replies [Last post]
Bou Success 2006

My brother and I both got nice buls in AK this year.
Saw some nice gizzlies and did some great fishing for arctic char.
Awesome trip

PreviewAttachmentSize
2006 justin bou 2.jpg
2006 justin bou 2.jpg45.81 KB
2006 Justin Bou.jpg
2006 Justin Bou.jpg47.49 KB
Bou Success 2006

Thumbs up Sounds like a you had a great trip
which herd / sub herd did those come out of?

herd

Came out of the Mulchatna herd

redrider's picture
Bou Success 2006

That's Awesome!! Good Job Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
Bou Success 2006

Beautiful animal. what are you going to do with the hide? When I lived up there, there were some places where you could have a coat made of it. Best looking coats I ever saw.

Bou Success 2006

Thumbs up Great Caribou! Congratulations.

thanks guys

cape is being mounted. We left the rear section of the hide in the field.

Bou Success 2006

Thats a great looking Bou Thumbs up float or drop off? I heard that herd was on the down swing ?? and was getting pounded by hunters from the lower 48 ?

If I had to choose just one animal to hunt it would be bou's there is nothing like seeing hundreds of them a day with so many different antler configurations I would never get bored hunting them here is a pic of my 02 bou LONG story but it got cut 5 days short so I had to take what I could get @ the last second

PreviewAttachmentSize
scan0008.jpg
scan0008.jpg698.57 KB
look at the shovel on that thing.

sweet rack, Really different. not bad for last second.
Everyone tells us the Mulchatna herd is suffering, i believe after talking to Fish and game and biologists about it that the herd rose faster that the foud sourse could provide at once and has finally exceeded it's limits and had dropped down to a normal level (about 200,000 animals or 8% less than it was a few years back)
And that the herd will continue to be at 200,000 for many many years which is a very good number. perhaps not as good as it once was, but plenty of meat to go around. The hunting pressure right now is on the Western Arctic herd because they still allow non res 2 caribou. however it seems after reading the horror storries on these site of other hunters, poor service to and from the field and sparse caribou that the Mulchatna herd is just as good if not better. Not oly that, but in Larry Bartlets "Hunting caribou in Alaska" book he states that the Mulchatna herd has better chances of producing trophy bulls.
That coupled witht he extra cost and I'm just not really interested in the WACH.
just my opinion.
Justin

Bou Success 2006

I'm glad to hear that the herd is doing well !!
I hunted out of KOTZ lots of bou but the Eskimos I hunted with would not let me shoot one unless it was in the river Brick Wall,) Brick Wall,) after 2 days of sitting in the boat and refuseing to shoot one in the back of the head as they swam across the river, they dropped me off on the bank and let me do it my way (spot and stock) I understand they not into it for the sport ,they look at hunting bou as a task to fill there freezers

( Larry Bartlets "Hunting caribou in Alaska) I have all of his books !! did you use him to set up your hunt? Last year he set us up on a moose hunt. His float hunting book is a must have if you plan on float hunting in AK .

We did a eight day float hunt. Didn't see as many moose as hoped for but I guess I only needed to see this one

PreviewAttachmentSize
scan.jpg
scan.jpg1.04 MB
monster moose

that's a real big bull you go there. What's the spread?
We didn't use Bartletts services. I actually work for Adventures In The Wild as a booking agent (similar to Larry's) and we offer similar services. As a matter of fact larry has booked a number of hunts with us which helped him to write his caribou book. You will notice my boss's name Dave Mason as a reference at the back of the Mulchatna herd section.
From what I hear Larry puts together a very nice package for around $800.00 a party.
So I actually did all of my own hunt planning, maps, location, times, ect. good times

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Montana Ranch Guided Elk/Deer/Antelope Hunts 2006montanarancher002/14/2006 13:12 pm
2006 Wa Rule bookunknown_one405/18/2006 13:47 pm
2006 bull and buckj.olsen110/28/2007 21:38 pm
Volunteers needed for youth events!!!Trailblazer006/01/2006 10:23 am
Cow Elk Hunt Oct 21-28 2006Tidioute Bob110/07/2006 21:28 pm