6 replies [Last post]
Bosque Del Oso, unit 851 co.

anyone out there that has hunted the bosque swa? would like to get some basic info on hunting this area. have the 1st rifle elk season. aaanybody out there?

Bosque

See this thread from a couple weeks ago.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forum/bosque-del-oso-unit-851-co

I don't think it's been open to the public for TOO many years. IIRC, it's a hard area to draw and they don't give out a ton of tags so the number of people with experience is lower than a lot of the other units.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Best of luck to you!

Best of luck to you!

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I don't have experience with

I don't have experience with the area. Your best bet is going to be to contact the CDOW and talk with them about it. They will be able to give you some good general knowledge and can hook you up with contact info for the terrestrial biologists and the DWM's from the area. These people will be able to get you pointed in the right direction. They are the people putting boottracks on the ground and will help you out. I have heard that they can give out contact information for hunters who have had these hard to get tags in the past as long as those hunters agreed to it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hunted about 5 years ago late

Hunted about 5 years ago late season cow, nice place. saw over 30 bulls before we found a cow. On your hunt I would stay away from oil/ gas areas, hunt the draiages that are foot access only. Get up on top of a ridge early and listen and glass the other ridges and drainage bottoms. It is thick brush in a lot of places will have to move quick when you see something. Keep an eye out for bears and sheds.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
The other thing that I failed

The other thing that I failed to mention is that I believe that the Colorado Division of Wildlife has done some habitat manipulation in their recently. I can't remember if it was this year or last year but I know I read something about it. They did a combination of controlled burns and mechanical methods of shrub removal and thinning on certain sections of the property. It would be well worth looking into this. A call to the local Colorado Division of Wildlife office should get you specifics on it. If there are new grasses and forbs coming up where they have suppressed shrubs, than these areas could be really good. If they have done any very recent burns than you might want to avoid these areas. Once again, good luck and keep us posted.

Probably too late

I just got back last week from hunting the BDO for 26 days of archery,muzzleloader and fall turkey. Wished I would have logged on earlier but was in unpacking mode. Saw a few dozen bulls during the summer scouting trips but they were hard to find in the hot hunting seasons. None were taken in the archery season that I saw or heard of and I was in camp for all but 5 days of sept. I got my bull in muzzy season and only one other of the 5 bull tags issued were filled. The out of state hunter in the archery season from Wisconson used 13 points to get his tag and hunted every day but could not get close enough. The out of state muzzleloader hunter from Kansas used 17 points and did not even see one. Both were the 1st to leave camp and one of the last to return. Everything that HuntHayden said is true. I hunted the ridges next to the private ranches to catch them traveling to or from them.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Bosque Del Oso, unit 851 co.badger409/13/2010 23:17 pm
Bosque del Oso late cow and draw startegyHookem3119502/20/2013 07:18 am
Late Season Colorado elkbluechrome121112/28/2007 16:11 pm
BOSQUE DEL OSORUFFNECK501/29/2008 19:44 pm
Bosque Del Osobabycakes105/26/2013 11:03 am