5 replies [Last post]
BLM Land in unit 214 CO

There is a chunk of BLM land outside of Clark that I've been eyeing for a few years now. According to maps there should be public access to it. However when you drive past it, there are no signs indicating public access. Do you know who I can contact in the area to figure out if there is public access? A warden or BLM manager?

Thanks for any info.

silvertip-co's picture
I had same question one day

I had same question one day so went to Saguache Colorado BLM office. Here's how it works...

BLM land is public land all the time, even if its leased for grazing.  Access is NOT restricted by fences( close the gate). Ranchers however will dispute these facts and even shoot at you( nw COlorado et al) , but the fact is  they only lease the grazing rights, access is still public 24-7-365( may be a dirty lil secret ranchers dont want us to  know). He gave me his card and told me to  call him and 911 if I get shot at.

HOWEVER out of respect for ranchers and their admired(by me) profession I always try to locate the ranch house ( never an easy task) and ASK first, lacking that I call a local BLM office. One ranch I antelope hunted on in 2008 has been leased for over 50 yrs, but the rancher knew well it was NOT his land and only tried to control access so guys ( 150 of them) didnt get shot. Since the BLM  is a large agency they have offices in most counties in COlo and they are listed on their website  www.blm.gov  then look up the CO offices.

Good luck.

exbiologist's picture
thats exactly right

One thing I look for to verify that the piece of land I'm looking it is BLM and not private when I don't have a map with UTM grids on it is to see if the NO TRESPASSING signs abruptly stop at the parcel.  Even more likely to be BLM if there's no fence whatsoever.  BLM land is very rarely posted, so make sure you have a good map, not just the Delorme Atlas.

have gps?

If you have a gps you can get the corner coordinates off of the blm website. go to blm.gov/co and click the little snake district. If you use this make sure to set your gps map datum to the correct setting. I use this and it puts me within five to ten feet of blm corner markers.

exbiologist's picture
great tip!

I didn't know the BLM had corner coordinates available.

all I could find was the

all I could find was the little sake office area. Tried to find kremmling and vail areas but couldn't, called and they didn't Know what I was talking about. was about to drive to kremmling and glenwood to go through thier books when I found out about software that already had the whole state done. still checking it against the old way of doing it but so far it has been very close.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Wyoming Antelope Unit 38 -- Any help?jhazel108/01/2011 14:34 pm
Wyoming Unit 22 Mule Deermandingo1100108/02/2013 07:24 am
Colorado Unit 30 advicebailer202/18/2011 13:43 pm
NEW MEXICO Unit 15BArchery1210/15/2002 21:32 pm
Private property Colorado unit 23Ihunt4food209/29/2012 16:19 pm