17 replies [Last post]
HOGGETTER's picture
Blacktail down 10-9-2010

Well I went out sat. morning looking for the bear that was causing me some problems and found myself a nice deer. He was with a couple of small bucks and they were standing up on a bluff over looking the lake, I must have bumped them out of their beds. I ranged him with my RX1000 and he was 326yds and the hold was 294yds. so I gave him my 300yd crosshair. I used my 7mm rem mag with a 140gr Barns X bullet. The good news was he went down quick, just 25 yds from where I hit hit. I gave him 20 mins. then drove my quad around under the bluff. Thats whare it got crazy, apparently I drove over a western yellow jacket den and parked 10 feet from it. I got off my quad and took my jacket off and all of a sudden I was being attacked by a bunch of pisted off yellow jacket. There must have been 200 of them and I took two hits above my right eye, three on my right arm and two on my left arm and two on my stomach..........SOB...........And it hurt like hell. I ran like a little girl confused on what just happend. I circled around up wind of the little basterds and watch them sworm my quad for thirdy more mins. they were real angry cause my quad was idling. I was by myself and  had just got my butt kicked and still had to recover my deer. I sucked it up and tryed to ignored the pain which hurt more the next morning and weirdly thats when I swelled up. Anyway the deer was really nice and was a easy pack down hill 100yds. Heres the Pic.  

After the first rain the Taranchulas come out to play.

Heres some turkey's that came over to see what I was doing.

nicely done! that's a good

nicely done! that's a good blacktail buck, for sure! I'd be happy with one like that, any day!

too bad about the yellow jackets - those things can me worse than a little annoying!

again, good job, and thanks for posting up the pictures.

oh, and now go get that bear!

oh, and now go get that bear!

gatorfan's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Nice buck!

Isn't that the way it usually goes?  You're out hunting for one thing and you run into another trophy!  Fortunately for you, you had a tag for both!  I'm usually not that lucky! lol

Congrtas on a fine blacktail!  I'd take a few stings from yellowjackets any day for a buck like that!

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That's a heck of a buck! 

That's a heck of a buck!  Sorry about the yellow jackets, that's gotta suck.

Now you can go out and stick some more piggies..... Thumbs up

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Wow that is a great looking

Wow that is a great looking buck....congrats!!  Do you see alot of spiders like that where you are hunting.  Spiders do not bother me too much but when they are that big I do not think I would want to be sleeping on the ground or even take a nap on the ground.

HOGGETTER's picture
Taranchula

GooseHunter Jr wrote:

Wow that is a great looking buck....congrats!!  Do you see alot of spiders like that where you are hunting.  Spiders do not bother me too much but when they are that big I do not think I would want to be sleeping on the ground or even take a nap on the ground.

Yes, after the first rain all the male taranchulas come out in full force inserch of a mate. I seen six that day. It seems like I'll see them for about a week out of each year and never again till the next fall.

numbnutz's picture
Wow!! thats one fine

Wow!! thats one fine blacktail, thats a bummer bout the hornets nest. those things can hurt. when i was out in august elk hunting i was tromping through the woods and almost stepped on an under ground nest, i was about 5 feet from it when i saw the little buggers flying in and out. that would have sucked as I'm allergic to them and was 3 miles from my truck. hopefully now you ca go get that bear. congrats on your sucess.

hawkeye270's picture
That is really funny. I am

That is really funny. I am sorry man but I can see it on your face in the picture with your deer. I am sure that you would have atleast cracked a little bit of a grin, if not a full on tooth filled smile after taking a buck like that if you had not just gone round for round and pound for pound with an entire nest of hornets. I am sorry to hear that but I bet you would agree that it is worth it since you got yourself a big buck. And he looks like quite the dandy for a black tail. Nice work hoggeter. I am also curious about the spiders like goosehunterjr is. Doe you normally see a lot of big boys like that?

Well if your bear tag is still good than good luck in trying to fill it. I am just not lucky enough to come across something that I have a tag for while I am out hunting for something else. I always end up seeing all kinds of other animals but I sure don't ever have a tag for them. Once again, congratulations.

elkkill06's picture
Toad of a blacktail !

HOGGETTER,

That is an aewsome buck ! Congrats ! Thanks for the great pics and story.

My dad was stung by ground hornets, over a 150 times, while elk hunting. He litterally died for around 1 minute, the doctors said, while I was recesitating him. Not a fun day at all ! Glad everything turned out alright.

Quinton

elkkill06's picture
Toad of a blacktail !

Good luck on the bear hunt !

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Black tail newbieMilliondollarbear1308/22/2009 18:32 pm
Kauai blacktailBlacktailer805010/03/2007 18:02 pm
blacktailsnumbnutz203/11/2008 16:14 pm
Oregon Blacktail huntingOregonHuntress1004/08/2008 12:29 pm
Blacktail in Truckee, CAGregB008/27/2009 18:40 pm