7 replies [Last post]
Best scope base and rings for Tikka T3 SS Lite in 300WSM????

I have just purchased a Lefthand Tikka T3 SS in 300 WSM. I have done so much reading about diffewrent rifles on different forums that my eyes are crossed. My decision was based on $$$ and best bang for the buck. I will do mostly mule deer and elk hunting. I wanted to buy American and the nearest competition was Savage. However, I could not find a lefty in this caliber with the new accustock. So, the Tikka was was choice. NOW, I have read that many Tikka owners do not like the factory mounts that come with the rifle. SO, again I want the bestr bang for the buck on a reliable and strong scope mounting system but, I need to keep the price feature down as much as possible. I looked at the scope rings that Tikka supplies with the rifle and I was not impressed with the look. I prefer a much tighter or smaller (sleeker) appearance to the rings. I went to SAKO's site and looked at the Optilock system. it is a little pricey.

What do you all use on your Tikka rifles??? Your advice on the Tikka was the foundation on which I purchased my rifle. I look forward to equally good advice on the scope mounting system.

Don Fischer's picture

I've never seen Tikka mount's so tried to find them mon their website; can't find the web site. I've heard a few negs about them also but also some good. If they came with the rifle I'd try them unless they are just to unsightly. There's lot's of good rings out there. I'd go look at what's avaliable locally but would shy away from aluminum. I think it was Tasco that use to make them.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

I owned a Tikka T3 SS/Lam in .300 WSM and used the supplied Tikka rings. They held a Zeiss Conquest and I never had a bit of problem with them, even on a tough 7 day horseback hunt. If you are determined to use other than the Tikka supplied rings my recommendation would be to use Warne rings, made for the Tikka. I have several sets of Warnes and they are an excellent quality product. I actually chose Warne rings for my CZ 550, rather than use CZ made rings. IMO they are better than the CZ made ones.

OldNavy, I also read some "so-so" things about T3 supplied rings, so even before getting new T3 off layaway ordered in a set of the Dednutz (or DNZ) base/rings in med height.

This is NOT my rig, but a pix of this setup on a T3 just like mine:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/DNZ-Tikka-2.jpg

I have not yet tested on Tikka in 7mm Mag, but just put a set on my 25-06. Had to go with the high version to accomodate 6.5x20x50 large piece of glass..... Get many compliments at the range, light, yet rock solid. This single change alone on the 25-06 was worth every penny! Thumbs up

I've talked with DNZproducucts

I plan on putting either the Leupold 2x7 VXII or the Bushnell 3200 Elite 3x9 on my T3. The people at DNZ have been very reassuring about the shorter scopes being used with thier mounts.

OldNavy, had a similar concern as well. I got this reply from Tim Coggins at DNZ when asking about the distance between the rings - hope this helps!

"Outside to outside is 4.647". The rings are .625" wide."

Hope to get Tikka all mounted up yet today and tested tomorrow. will try to get you some pix. FYI, it appears the base works on both left and right bolts just by reversing it.

GKPrice's picture
best scope mounts for Tikka T3

"IF" weight is not a factor, Leupold dual dovetails or Warnes are tough to beat but if you're looking for awesome and lightweight mounts then either DNZ or Talley's are in order - BOTH have quality and exacting standards that are impossible to find fault with and I've used both on Tikka T3's with problem free results - That said, on T3's in standard cartridge chamberings the supplied rings should work just fine - you have to put the studded ring up front, make sure the ring is oriented correctly and pushed forward as much as possible and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN !! (any aluminum alloy ring, or anything for that matter, will strip or distort if over torqued It is very very common for people to over tighten rings and bases and BTW, DON'T use locktight on the screws either !  tighten each a little bit at a time so they clamp down evenly and if you have an inch/lb torque wrench use it to the supplied specs and if not, an allen wrench tightened CAREFULLY and pressured from the end of the long side until it flexes slightly is very close to perfect for each screw after getting them EVENLY snug (if you don't do it evenly you can easily pinch and crease your scope tube and I've seen countless "technicians" at gun stores do it WRONG !!)  Also, make sure your reticle is oriented perfectly squared to the rifle or any long shots with be off the mark

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Bases and Mounts

In this order, given your caliber, I'd suggest in this order although others may be very good too:

Talley Steel
Leupold Dual Dovetail
Talley Lightweight

I'm basing my recommendations on what I personally use and familiarity with a .300 Win Mag.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like