10 replies [Last post]
best choke for mossberg 835 w/24" barrel

I want to be able to take a turkeys head clean off his neck

Primos Jelly Head is highly recommended on most turkey forums across the country. Retail is about $39.95 and most sporting goods stores carry them.

I cant recommend a choke...varies by gun, but the hardest hitting 3.5 inch load I could find is Fiocci Turkey Thunder. Heaviest payload at a high velocity. I hammered a tom at 35 yards through one of my own decoys. The decoy and tom have since departed this earth.

redrider's picture

coop-
do you need a special choke to shoot those Fiocchi loads? Using a Rem. 870.

and

147- Is that jelly head good for just lead shot?

Winchester Supreme Heavy High Velocity (HV) 3 1/2" Turkey loads over 2-oz's of #5 shot are a good load to try. Just about every shotgun on the market shoots this load very well - using most turkey chokes with .665 constriction. If your shotgun doesn't have a 3 1/2" chamber, 1 3/4-oz's of HV #5's in 3" Mag will do the trick.

Turkey loads are buffered to prevent shot deformation and have special shot cups that enable great patterns to occur when using heavy payloads. Normally, I stay away from 3 1/2" shells (in all types of shotgun hunting) because 3" loads provide equal or better patterns with less recoil and shot. 3 1/2" Turkey Loads are the exception, due to heavily buffered shot, upgraded shot cups, and quite a lot more of research & development goes into their production.

$9.99 per box of 10 at http://www.BassPro.com

P.S.:

One of the best turkey chokes for the dollar (on the market) is HS Strut's Undertaker with .665 constriction for about $19.99 at http://www.BassPro.com . Primos Jelley Head and all Undertaker chokes are strong enough to handle any type of shot, including steel, Hevi-Shot or Tungston Matrix loads.

As a suggestion, you might also consider the .675 waterfowl choke and use it for turkey, ducks, and geese, since .675 provides the tightest patterns with Hevi-Shot on waterfowl and it could also double as a very adequate turkey choke too with any turkey load on the market.

redrider's picture

Thanks for the info 147 Thumbs up

You get my vote for most informative Yes

I used the Winchester 2 oz 3.5 inch loads last year, which killed a bird. This year I used the Turkey Thunder loads and killed a bird. Both will work, but the Fiocci, once again is the most potent I could find.

Winchester box states 2oz for 3.5 inch

Fiocci box states 2 3/8 oz for 3.5 inch

The Winchester load shoots slightly faster, but at the expense of a thicker pattern. The pattern of the Fiocci load was incredible on the head and neck of both my downed bird and my now useless decoy. Turkey Thunder is no B.S., I shot while sitting on a log and my balls felt like they had been kicked. The last post mentioned a load of 1 3/4 oz of shot being potent, add nearly 3/4 oz more for the Fiocci. And finally yes...shoot it from a lead shot turkey choke.

No disrespect towards the last post, but i dont see the logic in less shot and power being a better round. I have killed 8 hogs with the 3.5 inch 870 with the 00 buckshot load. Believe me when i say I needed every last pellet on a couple of those nasty beasts. Slight recoil difference is not a big concern while hunting, making a tough target drop is.

redrider's picture

I've been using Federal Mag Shok Flitecontrol 4 shot (2oz shot) 3 " , how do these compare with the Rem., Win., or Fiocchi?

Federal's Flight Control Shotshells are outstanding too, but are 3 times the cost of the formentioned Winchester Supremes.

Gotta back up 147 on the Undertaker.Just bought one for my 835 24".Results were tremendous.Winchester hv 3.5's #5 is the best combo for mine.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like