59 replies [Last post]
looseballs1966's picture
best all around cartridge

I will never come to understand why there is so much talk about gun calibers, when anything from a .22 rimfire up will kill anything on the planet if that bullet goes to the exact perfect place. I live in north-central Idaho, and have hunted about everthing in this area for over 30years, I personally own many different guns ranging in caliber from 22 thru 458lott (TOOO BORING TO OWN JUST 1 LOL), but 2 of them stand out as my most favorite 1 is a ruger stainless Mk2,in 338 windy mag the other is a very buteifully sporterized 98mauser in the original 7mauser caliber ( this gun is/was built to be very light and quick handling with a short barrel at 20inches, and length of pull shortend to the short side, it is also very light at barely over 5and a quarter, pounds with scope, sling, and full of ammo). That being said and to make my point, here in Idaho deer and elk season's can run at the same times, depending where you hunt, so many times I have had to decide-do I carry the 338 or the 7mauser (i.e. do I look for deer or elk as primary target for the day),well as it always seems to happen, I always find the oposite that I planed on, which has led me to have shot an equal amount of deer and elk with each of these 2 guns at ranges varying from nearly able to slap them on the but (I bow hunt too so I aplly those tactics to get as close as possible when I can)out to as far as 450yrds, and I have never been able to tell if either one did a more efective job of dispatching as long as the shots went to the right place and the bullet did it's job. My point is, there are many other factor's to consider other than just horse-power of the round being shot, like just practicing with your chosen weapon till you you are very good with it (I personally am deadly accurate with the 2 guns I mention and can hold very close to 1 inch 5 shot groups at 200yrds and regularly practice at 350yrds(as it is as far a place I can find to in my area), and I consider it my max practical hunting range,Also there should be more attention payed to equiptment rather than caliber, nothing like the guy who buys a new 500ultra wizz-bang magnum $4000.00 top line Kimber rifle then cheaps out and puts some garbage tasco scope on it, to sum up my point don't get hung up on caliber, but DO get hung up on using the best quality equiptment availible, and then practice with that equiptment untill it becomes as part of your body and you too are deadly accurate with it (I.E one of my favorite sayings The true warrior has no favorites just preferances)

338 WM

I have a 338 WM and it's a great elk killer. I have a .280 Rem that's a lot easier to carry. I have a 308 Remington 600 that's a breeze to swing in tight quarters. I also just picked up a Savage 99 in 308, should be fun.

I have shot small mule deer with the 338...kills 'em dead as you would expect. Kills elk too. No question that you hit them. The best part about shooting the 338 at the range is that I have it all to myself....even if it's crowded when I get there. Clears 'em right out. It's also handy when hunting as I don't need to raise my buddy on the radio to help pack out an elk. He hears it across the valley and knows it's "the cannon" and heads my way.

I don't own a 30-06. Too hard to find ammo for it and I'm concerned I might not be able to get it down the road.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
j/k....but no, I don't own one....I have everything else. Big smile

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
.338 Win Mag

I consider the .300 Win Mag to be a better all around caliber but then I don't hunt in big bear country where I may need to use the rifle as a means of bear defense.

I recently purchased a .338 Win Mag for future use in said bear country. The term "all around" encompasses a lot of territory and every caliber has it's pros and cons. I don't consider any caliber to be the "best" for the variety of hunting conditions one may face. What works best on hogs in Texas may not be suitable for elk in WY.

Find something you can shoot, a lot, and go shoot. As others have noted, bullet placement is of first importance and the caliber is secondary. Bullet placement only comes with shooting, a lot, in a variety of conditions. By doing this you will know if you need to change calibers.

If I was going to select one caliber as a worldwide all around caliber I'd have to go with the .375 H&H. For all around in North America only I'd opt for the .300 Win Mag.

Biker

Don Fischer's picture
There is nothing in the lower

There is nothing in the lower 48 that I think needs a magnum of any kind. There is nothing north of the us border that can't be handled very well with proper bullet's in a 30-06/308. I've owned a few magnum's in the past, they were not a lot of fun to shoot. Of course when I was younger there was the cool factor.

I wouldn't even consider the

I wouldn't even consider the 338WM as an "all around" cartridge. Like others said 30-06 will get the job done. With the bullets available today and proper shot placement I don't see a need for more gun.

Taken of the Alaska Fish & Game website:http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Sorry the above link didn't

Sorry the above link didn't work lets try it again http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Great Bears, .338 Win Mag #1 Choice of Pro Guides in Alaska

tnhunter wrote:
Sorry the above link didn't work lets try it again http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms I wouldn't even consider the 338WM as an "all around" cartridge. Like others said 30-06 will get the job done. With the bullets available today and proper shot placement I don't see a need for more gun.
The reason you do not see a need is because you live in TN, not Alaska. You also failed to notice that the guides recommended against a caliber that their tenderfoot and often overweight clientle cannot hack carrying or shooting. What you did not mention was that the guides are most likely packing a .338 Win Mag as a back up to stop an angry charging Great Bear from mauling the poorly placed shot of the inexperienced shooter. The stopping power is much different than the killing ability with a well placed shot. The number one choice of pro guides in Alaska is the .338 Win Mag and for good reason. It has a higher sectional density (which is required for good penetration) than the .30 cal and much more power to put down a rampaging bear before it takes the head off of panicked tenderfoot. The Great Bears are the largest predators in the world and occassionally humans are on their menu. Do a web search about .338 Win Mag and Alaska and you will have more information to put together the whole puzzle and not just a small piece. To many offer advice based on limited knowledge which could get others killed. If you are on a guided hunt in Great Bear country lesser calibers will do as long as the guide is properly equipped. If you are on your own you better know what you are doing. Ie. Possessing a caliber large enough to stop a Grizzly or Brown Bear bent on taking you down.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Horse feathers!

Everyone knows the 17 HMR is the best all around cal.! I kid I kid, I havea 338 win mag. Haven killed with it yet maybe this year found a good load for the 210 partition and will try for elk with it.

Commander800r's picture
Hi guy's new to the

Hi guy's new to the site.
I've used a Remington 700 in 270 for years and have taken many whitetail. Just the other day I purchased a T/C Venture in 30-06 that I'm looking forward to shooting. The first time I seen this gun I looked at the Dealer and said this thing is so ugly I have to have it! So I bought it!
Fit and finish is solid it came with a cheap Bushnell scope and even though it was clear and seemed solid I had my Leupold VXII 3-9-40 scope mounted and bore sighted so my next adventure is zeroing it in.
Color is growing on me and I like the fluted barrel. So what do ya think of the color! lol

PreviewAttachmentSize
HPIM0003 (21).JPG
HPIM0003 (21).JPG3.09 MB

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Rifle permit question.kamuzai810/10/2011 16:17 pm
Rifle for saleTndeerhunter204/27/2010 18:47 pm
Custom Rifle Action?Highflyer1811/16/2008 10:46 am
Nebraska Rifle Mule DeerLuckydaddy005/29/2008 10:47 am
Rifle for beginnere4c4ever1610/12/2006 16:14 pm