59 replies [Last post]
rgbwmb's picture
Best all around caliber

In my world which excludes Africa, The 30 caliber magnums are hard to beat. Load em light for varmints, mid wheight bullets for deer size game and 200-220 grain bullets with good construction for Large bears if thats your bag. Much better long range capabilities than the 338 mag. I use a 300 wby in a Vanguard sporting a Burris Signature 4-16x44. Love it....

I am in MT and I used a 30-06

I am in MT and I used a 30-06 for 25+ years however after a close encounter w/ a grizzly I decided I was underguned, even w/a 45-70. I bought a .338 win mag and never looked back no problems w/ recoil untill a 300 grain bullet is used. then it gave me my first and only scope cut. I agree with the thread author 338 win mag is the best all around big game weapon bar none

338 Win Mag

I was looking for a one rifle/ one load that will buck the brush and humanely harvist every thing from Javalina and Deer to Brown Bears and Elk out to 300 yds. I thought I had a deal on a Ruger #1 in 30.06 and then one in 300 Win Mag, but both those fell through. I then found a Browning A bolt in 338 Win Mag. So not my first choice at the time but man do I like it now, I'm a big guy at 6'3" and 280 lbs, the A bolt has a 26" barrel and stout but not painfull recoil, I'd say less than a steel butt plated A3-03 Springfield. I'm currently shooting up a couple boxes of Nosler 250gr Partitions but plan on my do it all load to be hand loaded 250gr Hornaday Interlock round noses at around 2700 fps.

possum's picture
Bullet Selection

I have shot a 338Win for a lot of years and i love it. The bullet selection available is awesome and range from 160 to 300GR and velocities of 3400+ are easily attainable with the 160.  For me its not overkill to shoot a Whitetail with a 338, our deer here are big bodied. But its nice when you have a deer tag and an elk or moose tag in your pocket and you are not changing guns. I shoot a 180Gr nosler for deer at 3243FPS works good, DOA

With the changes in powder/bullet technology over the years, i think the 338 is an overlooked caliber, lost in all the Hype and Type of NEW calibers.

An old guy once told me, you only need to shoot 1 gun son, but you need to shoot it well....

buffybr's picture
Best all around caliber

"I have shot a 338Win for a lot of years and i love it. The bullet selection available is awesome and range from 160 to 300GR and velocities of 3500+ are easily attainable with the 160."

possom, Just out of curiosity, who makes 160 gr .338 bullets?  I couldn't find anything smaller than 180 gr in any of my books,

As for the best all around caliber, I've always been a .30 caliber fan.  In over 40 years of western big game hunting, I've never had any problems killing elk, moose, caribou, mountain goat, or anything smaller with 180 gr Partitons. 

Like rgbwmb, my current favorite cartridge/rifle is a custom .300 Weatherby Vanguard.  With 168 gr Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets I've made basically instant kills on a variety of North American and African animals from a 30 lb Klipspringer to 500-700 lb Sable and Elk.  I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything in North America or any African plains game with it, although if I was ever to go on an Alaskan Brown bear hunt I would probably use my .375 RUM, just because I have it.

possum's picture
buffybr, Barnes makes a 160

buffybr, Barnes makes a 160 TTSX FB for the 338

Hey buffybr, what is a Klipspringer ??

buffybr's picture
what is a Klipspringer

A Klipspringer is a small South African antelope, weighing about 40 lbs. They like steep rocky hillsides, and their name translates to "rock hopper."

Here's the Klippy that I shot last year with my favorite "all around rifle", my .300 Weatherby.

PreviewAttachmentSize
DSC_0206.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG1.48 MB
Don Fischer's picture
nice rifle

buffybr wrote:
A Klipspringer is a small South African antelope, weighing about 40 lbs. They like steep rocky hillsides, and their name translates to "rock hopper." Here's the Klippy that I shot last year with my favorite "all around rifle", my .300 Weatherby.

Damn that is a good looking rifle!

buffybr's picture
nice rifle

Don Fischer wrote:

Thanks Don. I've admired (and wanted) Weatherby rifles (and especially the .300 Wby) ever since I started big game hunting in the mid '60s. About 5 years ago I thought that I needed a new elk (and just about everything else) rifle so I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby.

The factory stock was too short, and not exactly what I wanted, so I ordered a AA Fancy Claro Walnut semi-finished stock from Richards, and after two tries they matched the wood to the quality shown on their web.

I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake, then I pillar and glass bedded the action and barrel channel, then floated the barrel, fitted a Limbsaver pad, installed a mechanical recoil reducer in the butt stock, then polished and set the trigger to 2 1/2 lbs. Then I hand checkered my favorite multi-panel, wrap-around pattern on the grip and forend. It's topped with a Leupold VX-I 4-12x scope on Leupold mounts.

I've only shot handloads through it, and it likes a variety of bullets, including 168 and 180 gr TSX, and especially 168 gr TTSX bullets at 3250 fps which will cut ragged one hole 3 shot groups at 100 yds.

So far, I've only used this rifle on 3 hunts (Texas, Montana, and South Africa), and it has performed superbly on the 9 animals that I have shot with it, including the Klipspringer pictured above that I shot at 314 yds, to a bull elk and bull sable.

Like most of us, I have other rifles in my safe that have shot their share of game animals. But if I would have to choose one rifle for ALL North American big game hunting, it would be my .300 Weatherby.

Now if the question would be one rifle for all big game animals of the world, including Africa's Buffalo, Rhino, and Elephant, I would choose my .375 RUM (which looks exactly like my .300 Wby except it's a stainless Rem 700 barrel and action in a grey/grey/rose laminated stock), but that's a different story.

I built that rifle pretty much the same as my .300 Weatherby and its the one in my avatar pic with my Cape Buffalo, and is in the attached pic with a Vaal Rhebok.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Vaal_Rhebok_106.jpg
Vaal_Rhebok_106.jpg693.6 KB
buffybr's picture
nice rifle

Don Fischer wrote:

Thanks Don. I've admired (and wanted) Weatherby rifles (and especially the .300 Wby) ever since I started big game hunting in the mid '60s. About 5 years ago I thought that I needed a new elk (and just about everything else) rifle so I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby.

The factory stock was too short, and not exactly what I wanted, so I ordered a AA Fancy Claro Walnut semi-finished stock from Richards, and after two tries they matched the wood to the quality shown on their web.

I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake, then I pillar and glass bedded the action and barrel channel, then floated the barrel, fitted a Limbsaver pad, installed a mechanical recoil reducer in the butt stock, then polished and set the trigger to 2 1/2 lbs. Then I hand checkered my favorite multi-panel, wrap-around pattern on the grip and forend. It's topped with a Leupold VX-I 4-12x scope on Leupold mounts.

I've only shot handloads through it, and it likes a variety of bullets, including 168 and 180 gr TSX, and especially 168 gr TTSX bullets at 3250 fps which will cut ragged one hole 3 shot groups at 100 yds.

So far, I've only used this rifle on 3 hunts (Texas, Montana, and South Africa), and it has performed superbly on the 9 animals that I have shot with it, including the Klipspringer pictured above that I shot at 314 yds, to a bull elk and bull sable.

Like most of us, I have other rifles in my safe that have shot their share of game animals. But if I would have to choose one rifle for ALL North American big game hunting, it would be my .300 Weatherby.

Now if the question would be one rifle for all big game animals of the world, including Africa's Buffalo, Rhino, and Elephant, I would choose my .375 RUM (which looks exactly like my .300 Wby except it's a stainless Rem 700 barrel and action in a grey/grey/rose laminated stock), but that's a different story.

I built that rifle pretty much the same as my .300 Weatherby and its the one in my avatar pic with my Cape Buffalo, and is in the attached pic with a Vaal Rhebok.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Vaal_Rhebok_106.jpg
Vaal_Rhebok_106.jpg693.6 KB

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Rifle permit question.kamuzai810/10/2011 16:17 pm
Rifle for saleTndeerhunter204/27/2010 18:47 pm
Custom Rifle Action?Highflyer1811/16/2008 10:46 am
Nebraska Rifle Mule DeerLuckydaddy005/29/2008 10:47 am
Rifle for beginnere4c4ever1610/12/2006 16:14 pm