59 replies [Last post]
best all around rifle -338 win mag

If you are going to choose your hunting cartridge do to the fact that there may be bear in the area you are just looking for an excuse to carry a big bore magnum.How many people ever have to defend themselves from a big bear while hunting,very few and of those how many were killed or injured because they were underguned?Cmon....

Lots of one gun guys up here go with the 338. A lot of them wind up on the used racks too. When it comes to having enough gun up here you do have to think about bears. That being said, you also have to use your head. if you look at the reports the last 3 years, brown bears have been killed up here with everything from 12 gauge shotguns loaded with slugs to 9mm semiauto pistols on the Kenai river. Sure, they are big but they are not bulletproof. Do you need to know your poop? YES. Does luck play a factor? Yes and no. If you are smart, then you minimize the chance of luck rearing its fickle head when or if you meet a bear. if you aren't smart? Well, I don't want to go for a hike with you.

Up here you don't need to shoot 400 yards to get a moose. They aren't hard to get really close to. I did it the first time when I was still a new and stupid cheechako. Good thing I didn't get stomped. Like I said elsewhere, my friends and I use 30-06, 300 Winmag, 270 Win. Another friend uses a .308 or a Ruger #3 in 45-70. So the need for longe range ballistics is a fallacy. Over compensation maybe? Like the older guy who needs a candy apple red Corvette? ;) I'm joking.

In North America the vast majority of animals aren't so bulletproof or so fast or so wary you can't get within 200 yards and put them down with your basic everyday calibers.

Do you need a 338 Winmag to do it?
Only if you feel you personally need one. Then that is a personal decision and has no bearing on what I think the best caliber for North America is.

I have been hunting with my .300 Winchester Magnum Weatherby since 1989. I have 3X9 Redfield, Widefield, Illuminator on top of it. God has blessed me with a freezer full of meat almost every year since then. I feel very comfortable out to 400 yards with it, as long as the wind is not blowing very hard. I try to take a lung shot everytime I can. A true double lunger with 180 gr. Noslers does the job. Before this gun I used a 25-06 Rem. with 117-120 hand loads and after I got my .300, I shortened the stock and put on a good Pacmeyer Pad on it and gave it my wife and she still uses it. I have a 11 year old daughter who is starting to hunt with me and I think I'm going to get her a 7MM-08, with a good scope.

A 7mm-08 for an 11 year old? I don't know about that one. I have one in Remington model Seven SS and not only does it kick like a magnum, but even with hearing protection, it gets my eardrums buzzing. Basically you're forced to get a heavier rifle or it ends up being unpleasant. Something that is good natured in a lighter gun, like a 243, maybe a 25-06 or a 260 Remington might be a better choice.

Based on some Ballistic charts that I've seen and feed back from other hunters on NAHC's site. The 25-06 shooting 120 grain and the 7MM-08 shooting 140 grain kick the same with the same weight rifle. 25-06 @ 12.5 lbs and the 7MM-08 @ 12.6 lbs, both with a 7.5 lbs Rifle. Correct me if I'm wrong but all the research that I have done shows these #'s. That is one of the main reasons I have considered getting her a 7MM-08 is to prevent her from flinching and yet be able to hunt game up to the size of a Elk.

If she's 11 you will undoubtedly not be sending her out by herself. The 260 rem is much more comfortable for a small framed person and can always be used for deer. You'll be there to back her up. If she's using a round that she can handle comfortably. She'll want to shoot more often. Let her work up to a larger round.

I will guarantee my model Seven recoils harder than 12.6 ft-lbs. The point I was illustrating was that with a 7mm-08 chambering, you can't go with a lightweight rifle that's easy to carry and has a shorter length of pull, or the recoil becomes punishing. As rifle weight decreases, recoil increases.

Thanks for the imput.

Im going to buy a .338 now

Im going to buy a .338 now just because so many people have issues with some of you saying its one if not the best all around weapon to own. Thanks for flaming it and pushing me towards OVER KILL... I love it...

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
You will find that with

You will find that with larger bore rifle rounds that it is either a love them or hate them type of thing.  Granted you do not need a .338 for any of the animals on the North American Continent but then you also don't need a 375, .416, or the .458 calibers either, but then if we all just used our .270's how boring that would be. 

I have quite a few big game rifles from a .22-250 all the way up to a .348 Winchester including a .340 Weatherby.  Do I need all of those calibers?  The answer is no but I want all those calibers.  Is the elk that I shoot any deader when I shoot him with my .257 Roberts than he is when I shoot him with my .340 Weatherby?  The answer is no, and I doubt that he felt any difference between the two.  

So for a budget minded hunter who can not buy a lot of rifles then buy one caliber and learn how to shoot it well and it will do just about anything that you ask of it.  So Mr. Vendetta go out and buy your .338 and enjoy it.  Just because others don't like it doesn't mean that we have to do as they say. 

I'll admit it that I am addicted to the .340 Weatherby and I don't plan on changing any time soon.   

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Rifle permit question.kamuzai810/10/2011 16:17 pm
Rifle for saleTndeerhunter204/27/2010 18:47 pm
Custom Rifle Action?Highflyer1811/16/2008 10:46 am
Nebraska Rifle Mule DeerLuckydaddy005/29/2008 10:47 am
Rifle for beginnere4c4ever1610/12/2006 16:14 pm